1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Giving It Up (sort Of)

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 15pt, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Out west they get $700 - $1,000 a deer head. And some are swamped!

:)

Kerby...

msestak and Dannynewman like this.
  2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Enjoy your retirement, 15pt...I'm not far behind you! I'll be 65 next week. I'm thinking that by age 70, I'll be completely out of taxidermy...if foam dust, and laquer thinner don't get me first!!!

3. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    I know it's been preached on here by some that they can get $700 plus anywhere. I'll assure you 100 percent I won't get many if any at $700. If I do great, I'll mount it. If not great also. Guy about 8 miles from my shop just posted on book face that he was sorry for an Increase next year, but he was going up to $320!!!!

4. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

There are a lot of $850.00 guys up in New England and one at $975.00 . They all get work.
    15pt Keep us informed on next years results. I think you will get work.

msestak, Dannynewman and Kerby Ross like this.
  5. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    I would say 75 percent of the deer I take in are 110 inch deer at best. Most not even 100. Alot of the 130 to 140 inch or above end up euro mounted these days. It's just real popular around here. I stand a chance on some out of state hunters, but local folks are gonna stick with a euro or a budget mount. What's crazy is these jokers will pay thousands to join leases here,
    Over 20 grand on a side by side and then skimp on a mount. Like i said they leave deer meat too, but it's easy to get rid of. Most of these guys i think kill a buck,pay a deposit, then there buddies give them hell about shooting that little buck and they get embarrassed.

msestak likes this.
  6. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

You can make more money at Windys for $400. Sorry I just can’t understand why anyone is under $600

7. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    Lance I know what your saying and I'm not gonna get a debate going. When I say I'm going to $700 that's more just to out price myself instead of just "I quit". I'll get some out of state hunters to pay it, but not anybody In my half of the state. There are way too many reputable businesses that only get $450 and do excellent award winning work. I will say this, if you get $400 and get enough heads, and they get picked up you will make more than Wendy's. Most of the higher paying jobs in this area don't pay much more than $10 an hr.

8. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    I will say at $400 you'll never make a good living unless somebody else has a job and covers insurance!

Kerby Ross likes this.
  9. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Ne
    Never accept work without a 50% deposit. You are at least covered for your material and overhead. Always have your customer sign a contract that covers deposit, liability and lawful take of game. It protects you but also protects the client. invoice.jpg

Dennis Duffy likes this.
  10. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’m getting $825 , I have easy $235 in materials and cost then if I add in labor and and few other things I’m near $400 . I’m not working for free .

11. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Im happy for ya! Good for you going to $700 I would love to here how your season goes. I bet you get more than you think.

Kerby Ross likes this.
  12. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    In most folks minds your labor is profit. That's what most jobs pay you for, your labor! Even though I'm going up it's no doubt I don't have near that in much in materials. Then again I get my forms and eyes right down the road and therefore my shipping is nothing. But that's not what this post is about, it's about getting rid of deadbeats.

Lance.G and pir^2h like this.
  13. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    I do like the part of not working for free. I don't need the taxidermy for living expenses so i can take it or leave it.

13 point likes this.
  14. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

It all has to do with where your located $hits alot cheaper in the southeast than up north or out west.

15pt likes this.
  15. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    This is what you can only understand if you live down here. I had a buddy that had one hell of a taxidermy bussiness in north Georgia. He always wanted to move closer to the coast. He moved his whole bussiness to south alabama right on the beach highway and he lasted 2 yrs. Refused to drop his price and went tits up. He's back where he started doing just fine.

Dannynewman likes this.
  16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I think you'll do well. Youll make a little money and you won't be overwhelmed. It's a win/win. Not NEEDING the money is icing on the cake.

17. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    The deer processing is where I make my money. I don't even sweat a deposit on it.

18. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Another thing you might try 15pt is to get payment in full up front. That will eliminate the deadbeats as well.

19. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    Last time I looked a deer form, eyes, etc in the south cost the same as they do in the rest of the country.

If the supply companies are giving you guys in the south a better deal I want in on it.

Lance.G likes this.
  20. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You can’t take in 100% deposits in some states it against the law .