1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My First Mount, And Its A Cat.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Abbey Normal, Jul 21, 2020.

1. I have wanted to delve into mounting something for a long time. During lockdown, I started to read, watch videos, and study pictures. I joined the forum. I had been told several times that a bobcat would be a rough choice for beginners. Thats what made the decision. I wanted to be completely challenged, and boy was I. I almost gave up a dozen times. At any rate, I saw where Bob Wendt had a bobcat kitten for sale. I purchased it. It arrived very quickly and in impeccable condition. With Brian Hendricks help (on youtube), I threw him in a pickle bath and went through all the additional steps with him. I also would share pictures through the process for critique. I learned a lot that way as well.
    He isnt perfect by any means, but I am pleased with him. I am going to do some more work on his nose. Ill texture it, paint it, add color, remove it, and start over. I'll get it eventually. Also, I overdid it with the glue. So much that some soaked through. I am still picking it out lol.
    I was intrigued when I start seeing these soft mounts everywhere. Thats the only thing I am on the fence about. After completing him, I quickly realized that its not a toy. I can only imagine what they would look like a year from now after repeated handling. However, I do like that he can be repositioned. I love that he can look curious, fearful, or playful depending on the positioning.
    Thank you Taxi-net for the amazing content, thank you Bob Wendt for the beautiful kitten.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    msestak, Keith, Bob and 7 others like this.
  2. Sorry if I put this post in the wrong place. I couldnt find a projects page

msestak, Massivehaunting and wa like this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If this is your first mount, You are way ahead of the curve! That is one of the better soft mounts I have seen. Good job!

4. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

This looks really good, especially for a first mount. Bobcats are hard, something even seasoned veterans struggle to get right alot of times. Congratulations, good work.

5. Thanks so much. It was a battle, but a fun one. I was close to giving up a few times, but kept at it. The end results are so rewarding

6. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

Agreed, the first is always a struggle. Keep at it you've got talent.

msestak and Abbey Normal like this.
  7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Love the user name btw. For a first, it is very good. But taxidermy is not "soft mounts". The market for those is fickle at best. More an overpriced, stuffed plush geared for a limited genre of people. Practice working with actual mounts and you will do well. During hunting and trapping season you can take in enough work to keep you busy all year. Word of mouth spreads fast. Don't underprice yourself just to get work either. Once you cut prices for people, they will expect it of you all the time and will be very unappreciative when told that something now costs more.

msestak, Richard C and Abbey Normal like this.
  8. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

I told her via email, but very few can do cat faces right. this one is great. I posted a picture of it on a trapping site and most of the guys think it is an alive cat. these are trappers that see `live cats, so no better compliment.

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You did an awesome job on that cat...especially for a first!!! Congratulations! I believe you have the potential to do great things in taxidermy! Keep us posted.

10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Excellent job for a first mount! Keep at it, keep learning and you’ll only get better.

msestak, bob wendt and Abbey Normal like this.
  11. Massivehaunting

Massivehaunting New Member

Wow ! It really does look good and especially being a kitten I’m going to attempt my first head/shoulder mount on a coyote that isn’t in the best condition to practice
    I have a question for you
    You skinned it yourself ? Is it possible to mount a specimen if it does not have the extra skin on eyelids to tuck I’m wondering if my attempt on my coyote will go in vain

Abbey Normal likes this.
  12. Much appreciated everyone. Yes... Im eager to get an actual mount under my belt. Thats what I am currently thinking out. What an adventure !

msestak and Massivehaunting like this.
  13. No, I purchased it skinned. The kitten was so clean and in amazing condition. I have read that some dont bother with the extra tucking skin. Do some researching and Go for it, NO REGRETS!! :)

14. ARUsher

ARUsher Active Member

Very good job. Way better than my first!

msestak, bob wendt and Abbey Normal like this.
  15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Way better than a lot of taxidermist's one thousandth.

msestak, Abbey Normal and bob wendt like this.
  16. Good to see talent coming along. Good luck Abbey N.

17. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’ll say this , fleshing and tanning something that is in just ok or not great condition is fine to learn and practice on but I wouldn’t use a bad condition anything as my first mount , the end result will be just that , an ugly not so good mount, and you already have an excuse,( it looks like that because it was in bad condition to begin with ) and you won’t have anything to be proud of and no real keep sake , if you understand what I’m saying . Get a critter that is in good condition to mount , that way you can really see your good and weak areas of what you really can do .

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  18. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Hans Delbrück couldn't have done as good a job. Frau Blücher would be proud.

19. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Somewhere, there is room for a good video of frightened horses but I couldn't find one. :)

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

As Bob stated, you picked one of the hardest animals to start on and it looks as if you nailed it. The eye and nose work are exceptional. Great job.