1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help -tumbling Process

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Guillaume, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Guillaume

Guillaume New Member

hi guys,

I need your help. I ‘m currently in the process of tanning two coons, and i have no clue about the tumbling process with the 6 feet tumbler I just built for helping me breaking hides. So here are my questions:

-what is the time laps beetween putting the tanning oil on the pelt and putting the pelt in the tumbler ?

-do i have to put the sawdust in the tumbler at the beginning, are should tumble a certain period of time before putting the media ?

-how long should i tumble with the media, and how long without the media ? (On the wire mesh)

-do i have to stretch the pelt by hand diring the tumbling process ?

Thanks a lot, I will try my own experience but if i can do some shortcutt in order to avoid wasting pelt, i will.

Guillaume

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

There are no shortcuts here.
    After you oil and fold overnight, hang till their about 85% dry.
    Then with media added to your tumbler , you tumble till dry. 15-60 minutes then cage it.

3. Guillaume

Guillaume New Member

Thanks ! And fur in or fur out while tumbling ?

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Frank you're a good man. I can hardly wait till you answer that one.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I’m going to let them experiment a bit. Lol

tem likes this.
  6. Guillaume

Guillaume New Member

I thought it was a forum about taxidermy, made to help each others sharing there knowledge. Maybe I was wrong, but if so, I don’t know what’s this site is all about.

Thanks for the tip Frank.

Cheers!

7. George

Guillaume, Frank answer your question politely and courteously. Had you bothered to read what he said, the inference was taking in the obvious that the skin had already been placed in the tumble as firing up the tumbler without the hide would seem a bit ridiculous. Frank is a nationally and internationally recognized world class taxidermist as well as a gentlemen who took time to reply and you didn't bother to read it.

8. Guillaume

Guillaume New Member

George, as I speak french, i am not really sure what this discussion is all about. (I m french canadian)

Maybe my question wasn’t clear. i was asking if i had to put the pelt with the fur in (fur on fur), or fur out (skin on skin) in the tumbler, because i do case skinning instead of open skinning.

By your answers, I deducted you guys didnt want to answer me. Here in quebec, taxidermy is a lost art and everyone trying to keep there secrets instead of encouraging youth like me)

Nevertheless, I think I remained nice to frank and I even thanked Him for his first tips, that I will use gratefully.

Now, it would be really appreciated to have this last answer so I can finish my first ever coon tanning pelt eith my fresh homemade tumbler.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers !

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  9. George

NOW your statement makes sense. Remember we are taxidermists. So lets talk specifics. I presume you're "dry tanning" your hides for taxidermy. Tube skinned hides are inverted, oiled, left the oil soak in until it will take no more, wipe off residual and then tumble.

10. Guillaume

Guillaume New Member

Thank you George, really appreciated.

Exactly.

So I let the tube skinned hide inverted in the tumbler ?