1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Skull Value?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Ashlynne Scalf, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Ashlynne Scalf

Ashlynne Scalf New Member

SOLVED: thank you so much to everyone who has been able to help me not only with my initial question but with words of warning as well. I think I've learned what to look for in skulls that I am looking to buy.

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this on, and if it's not, please let me know. I'm looking at a bear skull that someone is selling. He said it's a Kodiak bear skull, and he sent me a picture of it. I asked for the price, and he said he is taking offers, but I'm not really sure what to offer. He said he has seen them go for anywhere from 250-1200. According to him, all teeth are intact but do contain natural cracking. I don't want to low ball him, but at the same time, I don't want to spend more than it's worth, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it might be worth. Thank you for any help. I'm still very new to this
    [​IMG]

He has another one. This one is a brown bear skull. Again, has all its teeth, but some are cracked/chipped
    [​IMG]

The final one is a Black bear skull, 12.5 inches long, a little over 6 inches wide and a bit over 6 inches tall. Has all its teeth
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

There is a limited number of buyers for what he has to sell. You can always start low and go up, but you can NEVER start high and go down.

drob likes this.

3. Ashlynne Scalf

Thank you for the advice :) I appreciate it

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Unless it’s a freak or a world class critter, there is no real value except for what one is willing to pay for it . As stated the market is very small for said items . If someone had a full skeleton of a bear minus the skull then said person would pay up to complete the pcs , but to me some others who have no interest in things of this nature , I wouldn’t pay more then $50 bucks and they are definitely worth more then that . It cost $100 to get a small bear cleaned correctly, so go from there again as Joe said start low if he wants to sell he will counter and you can go from there . Just be careful on how they were cleaned and whitened as you don’t want them flaking apart after you bought it .

Ashlynne Scalf likes this.
  5. Ashlynne Scalf

Alright, thank you. I had no idea to look out for how they were cleaned/whitened, but it makes sense. I'm sure you wouldn't want something that someone has soaked in bleach or something like that

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

No you don’t, and when you said natural cracking of teeth , just got me thinking , as I’m not going to say it doesn’t happen but it’s usually takes a long time for that to happen and they are very old or they were cleaned and whitened wrong . So again be careful.

7. Ashlynne Scalf

Right, I was kind of thinking that too. Maybe he meant some natural cracking plus some cracking of the teeth. I'm definitely going to do a lot of research before buying one

8. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

No doubt from your pictures those skulls were heavily boiled and bleached leaving the surface chalky with flaking. As Glen stated, most bear skull teeth might crack over time, but this cracking as shown was caused by excessive boiling, evident in all showing cracked teeth. As stated, they are not worth much even if done perfectly. IMO, I would look for properly done skulls

9. Ashlynne Scalf

After doing some research, I definitely agree with you. The only one I think is really nice is the black bear, which I can't get anyway because I'm in Florida

10. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

The brown bear skull is horribly greasy. It is going to take a lot of work to look good.

11. Ashlynne Scalf

I was totally open to degreasing it, but I think considering the damage done to the teeth I'm not going to get it. The people on here are correct. The teeth being cracked like that is a sign that it wasn't cleaned properly, which may lead to more problems with it in the future

12. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Another thing that determines value is size. Without a positive length/width measurement, you don't know how big it really is. The eyeglasses don't offer a lot. I agree with the others. Signs of boiling damage and brittle bone. Hard to tell but it also looks like the nasal bones are smashed out of all three of them.
    Take a look at the below skull. You want to see solid bone, nasals intact. Compromised and damaged bone will not look like this. Skull is dusty .. should have washed it off first. This one is about 15 1/2 inches long.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]