1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dying Tanned Alligator

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Carson Vaccarella, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Carson Vaccarella

Carson Vaccarella New Member

I am going to be tanning an alligator hide for usable leather using lu-tan.

When in the process should I dye the leather? Also can you suggest a dye.

Thanks!

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I would suggest going to the AMTAN website, following their recommendations on fleshing, salting, and shipping, and send it to them. You will never achieve the quality of their tan, and won't save any money doing it yourself if you count the value of your time at half of minimum wage. They have several colors to choose from. Their name and location is American Tanning Company, Griffin, GA.

Frank E. Kotula and msestak like this.

3. Carson Vaccarella

Carson Vaccarella New Member

Thanks for the reply, I really am doing this because I enjoy it not for monetary reasons

My question is is there a certain point in the process that I should dye the leather, or can I just do it at the end before I dry and seal it with oil. Also is there a brand or type of dye I should use

4. joeym

Dying is done after tanning. I'm not sure if fabric dyes will work. I know one lady who uses a bark based solution to create a natural dye.

msestak likes this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Dying leather happens after the tan and it’s best to do a vegetable tan as they accept dyes better.
    Being a taxidermy site , we’re not really into dying leathers so not much more help here but you can find a lot of good dyes and info from the net.
    Ps its not fabric dyes as they need warm or in reality hot water for those dyes to work.

joeym likes this.
  6. joeym

The only dying I ever did was per instructions in my NWST lessons (circa 1971!) I tanned several cowskins and a few buckskins. My mother said my work was awesome, LOL!!!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  7. Side Note: I've had well over a dozen tanned by Sebring Custom Tannery http://www.sebringcustomtanning.com/ and all have come out pretty darn nice. I've heard it said that Am Tan is a little better by some folks, but have also heard plenty of others say the quality is equal. What's not equal is price. Last time I checked, Sebring was about half the cost.

joeym likes this.