1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Strengthen Fish Fill

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Jul 26, 2020.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I mounted a huge Bluegill about a week ago with the fill method. I got my fill way too wet and it's still not completely dry. Do you guys add any other materials to your fill for added strength against breakage?
    I'm fixing to try the fill method on a 16" crappie today, my own mount, but I'm only going to add as much water as needed. I mix Matuska and Tom Sexton 50/50.
    I've also read somewhere that adding a good pinch of salt to the fill when mixing will speed up the set up time, any thoughts?

2. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

form my experience the tom sexton fill dries way to fast and I have a hard time getting it all poured and shaped before it starts to harden. its like a race lol. just mix it so its just wet enough to shape into a ball without water running out

3. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Add yellow dextrine. If I remember correctly borax will slow down the set time.

4. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

so if I add a teaspoon? of borax to my tom sexton fill it will dry slower?

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Try it and then decide,before putting in a fish. Then you'll know.

6. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Durhams rock hard water putty and cob grit

7. ARUsher

ARUsher Active Member

I have been told that mixing a little white vinegar will slow it down as well.