1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Thin Skinned Animals

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 101stcurrahee, Jul 27, 2020.

1. 101stcurrahee

101stcurrahee Member

How do you flesh animal with extremely fragile skin? I done dozens of jack rabbits in Ca which apparently have way tougher skin that the rabbits here in Idaho.

These ones require great care just to get the skin off the animal without shredding it to pieces.

Attempting to flesh it on a beam seems like a waste. I thew some in the pickle hoping it would toughen them up enough to separate the membrane. After 3 days the membrane is easily distinguishable, but trying to gently pull them apart still leaves a lot of holes. I feel like I'm trying to separate two pieces of tissue paper that are glued together without tearing them.

2. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

On rabbits, I found the best way (for me) was to make a small beam out of a 1x4 just long enough for the body of the rabbit. Sit on a chair with base of beam between my legs and gently scrape starting at the head down the body. Once you get a section of the membrane off, you can grab it and gently pull it off in strips. Don't force it, you can feel when its about to tear a hole, when you get to that point, flesh that spot with a knife then continue to pull it off. Probably not the best way, but its what works for me an its pretty quick.

3. 101stcurrahee

101stcurrahee Member

Can’t separate it without tearing. Hell I can’t even pinch it between the fleshing beam and my body without it putting a hole in.

Attached Files: