1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Just Starting Out. How Do I Take Payment?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BudHalf, Jul 27, 2020.

1. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

Hello all. Just graduated taxidermy school and looking to get rolling this fall. I am looking for suggestions on how folks take money these days. I’m fifty so cash and check is how I grew up but figured I’d be cutting myself short if I didn’t accept credit/debit cards. What are y’all using? Thanks

Bud.

2. Bud, I am 51 and all I take is cash and checks. My wife just introduced me to Paypal

Ossivorous likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Cash is king . I will take a ck for deposit but i only take cash for final pick up . I to just installed PayPal and Venmo into my bank account and will probably use them some but I give my clients enough time to stop by there bank to withdraw cash.

4. I have been using Paypal since I was 16 (30 now) started out just because I was an early adopter or eBay (I come from a long line of stingy tighta$$es). So electronic funds transfer has always been second nature to me.

But I cannot speak more highly of SquareUp or just Square. The fees are roughly the same as what your local retailers and gas stations pay for the ability to accept card payments and you dont have any intitial or continuing costs, they just take a small fee on what transactions you do, also this includes FREE hardware (the card reader) if you just get the basic pckage (which is what I have and suggest). It seriously has so many good features that for me personally, allow profits I probably would have otherwise missed out on. The free card reader is just the beginning. The biggest thing that they offer that puts money in my pocket is the option for scheduled automatic payments. I have said before that alot of my clients are working class folk with modest income and the Square app lets me set them up on easy monthly payments. Its not like credit or any of that nonsense (although they have that option too, I just havent used it yet but am not opposed to it) where the customer and I can sit down and take the cost of one of my mounts and simply cut it up into whatever payments they want to do. Most do either 6 monthly or 12 biweekly payments. We can set it to where the funds come out the day after their pay day and their deer is paid off right about the time its finished. It is legitimately really easy to do in the app and for a certain demographic of my bread and butter clientele (the working class folk) its great. You can also send people invoices to any email address where they can securely pay with a card online, this has been handy for times when the customer and I didnt come to a final decision on what they wanted (for example habitat for a LS mammal) and they wanted to do some more research or "try and make it themselves" and in the end they decide they would rather me do it and I can invoice them the materials costs so I am not taking any risks.
    Also, you wouldnt believe the number of times outside of taxidermy its been handy in my personal life to be able to take a card payment or send an invoice.... Sold a friend a weedeater on impulse, took the card payment.... I have several aquariums and whenever my fish do the nasty nasty and make babys I always keep a few fry and sell the rest in local aquarist communities and have used my square to handle those deals.

I even enter my cash transactions (which are still the majority) in the app because it gives me great analytics on where and how I'm making my money. Its how, when I considered dropping my skull work, I realised that it was actually my most profitable use of my personal time.

sorry if i sound like a fan boy or paid promoter (im not i swear) but I seriously recommend this company/app ALL THE TIME. When it comes to finding your niche and doing your job well, Square does that.

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I have a Square Point of Sale unit. This is 2020, 1920...nobody carries cash, and the younger generation doesn't know how to write a check. It WILL make you money. Additionally, Square has a very stable and tolerable rate of less than 3%, unless its a manual entry, which is 3.1%. Build that into your pricing and you'll be fine. Stay away from all those credit card companies. They will screw you baaaaad. Merchant Services and Wells Fargo are among the worst. One month I had a $90 draft on my statement. I called furious, and they told me they had updated their computer system, and their clients had to pay for this...thieves, I tell you, thieves!!!!

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I started taking payments for my work after I graduated from business classes. Have you taken any?

7. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I use "Paypal Here" and have for about five years now. The reader is free of charge and is connected remotely to your cell phone by Bluetooth. I have my reader attached to my metal invoice clipboard. You open the app and write in the description and amount. You swipe the C/C or debit card or you can insert a card in that has a chip. The fee is 2.75% per transaction and is linked to your bank to transfer the funds in 1-3 business days. 90% of my clients are C/C. My clients pay the fee because it is included in my pricing as an overhead cost. In 2019 I paid $600 in fees so I added $0.30 cents per hour (40 hour week/$12.00 per wk X 50 wks) to cover more than I need. Paypal reader.jpg Paypal receipt.png

joeym likes this.