1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Twisting Wires

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Skreem, Jul 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Skreem

Skreem New Member

Hey guys! I am very new to taxidermy and fell inlove with bird taxidermy. I started this month after reading The Breakthough and completed only 3 birds so far. Twisting both wing wires always takes time for me as I always end up damaging the foam. Any tips? I use 22 gauge wire and 2 part foam, is ir because of the foam? havent seen high density foam in my country. And also taxidermy class is not available here so im trying to learn by myself. Thank you! 20200729_231142.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    msestak likes this.
  2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I'm not understanding by what you mean twisting the wires. i would just stick that wing wire through the foam out the breast and cut it off leaving about 2 inches. Then take a pair of pliers and roll the end of it back into the foam anchoring it. Do both wings the same but separately. Also do the leg wires the same.

Watch a few of Bens video and watch how he does it. His videos don't always show it but watch a few to get the idea. I linked it right where he's wiring the body

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020

3. Skreem

Skreem New Member

I tried to do this. But will try the method in the video. Thank you so much!

Attached Files:

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Hi skreem. I use to twist the wires like that also but it is way overkill. Good luck and report back here with pictures!

5. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

If you carve your own foam and it is soft, twisting the wires will be stronger but you only need a couple of twists to hold them together. You don't have to keep twisting until you crush the foam. If the foam is crushed, that's OK too! Just lay some cotton over the damage and proceed with mounting. The commercial forms from the supply companies are a stiffer foam and we just push the end of the wire back into the foam and it anchors pretty good.

Wildthings likes this.
  6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

learn to wrap bodies

7. Skreem

Skreem New Member

Thank you for the cotton tip!

8. Skreem

Skreem New Member

Yeah i really wanted to learn wrapping bodies instead of sanding foam. I cant handle the dust from sanding. But I havent seen stores selling excelsior locally, was about to order from amazon but shipments to my country is still halted.

socalmountainman likes this.
  9. Skreem

Skreem New Member

Will sure do! Im up for constructive criticism so surely I would post it here. Thank you so much!

10. Skreem

Skreem New Member

I finished this yesterday but for some reason I cant upload pictures to the site. I feel like the shoulders is way higher as it should be. Critics are welcome. I also made the eyes with resin

Attached Files: