1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Caping A Wild Boar

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Lefty, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Lefty

Lefty New Member

I would like some input on how to do this properly? I've caped 1 boar before but not sure if I did it correctly. I had it hung on a gambrel head down and started skinning towards the head. However, the hide was so thick that it was too difficult to skin all the way to the base of the skull. I ended up making a cut down the back of the neck to the head. Any input appreciated, thanks!

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You were doing it correctly, head down and skin down to nose , they do get hard to do , because of thickness hide and shield , but they do and will roll down with a little effort. What’s done is done but I’d would have never cut the back of it open .

George likes this.

3. I've had hogs with 3" plus shields, very difficult to skin out. I'm not saying its impossible but i find it much easier to cut it up the back to the base of the head.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Hog Skull 2.jpg Hog Skull.jpg I figured out a way to cape them out with ease Drive a concrete rebar into the last vertebrae. Then, begin screwing 3” drywall screws around it til it’s a very tight fit. Then, I lift with my electric hoist, and have the weight of the skin helping me. Total cape out time on this 400 lb giant was 14 minutes

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  5. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Thank you all for the replies. Joeym that is a neat idea!

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

O can't imagine any reason I'd cut that hide. Ever. Sewing pig skin is bad enough but hiding that seam is even worse. If the shield is giving you issues, free up the chest skin more and tube it back.

Joey's idea will certainly work but 10-15 years back in the old forums, it tells about a rig I used. Evelyn Mills ("Superpig") and Bill (Hog Heaven") endorsed. I used some 3/4 inch plywood and a 2 inch dowel. Cut two 14"+ circles out of plywood and a 16" piece of dowel. Cut one ed of the dowel as a dull chisel. Screw the flat end to the center of one circle. In the other circle, cut a 2 inch hole in the center. Put this circle hole over the dowel and slide it down to the first circle. I put a heavy coat of epoxy paste around the doel base. The use 1 1/4 inch screws to hold the circles together. Let cure.

That chisel cut on the dowel gets seared at the back of the throat and keeps the head from spinning as you work the hide off the head.

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Sad that the photos are gone from those old threads. I remember seeing your caping jig, and always planned to make one.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It worked great on bears as well.