1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dermestids In A Bear Rug

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Sea Wolf, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Ok, new problem. A large bear rug has visible, live dermestids in the fur. That tells me they are not only on the fur side but more than likely on the back, between the hide and the felt backing. Will a dry cleaning place that advertises they do furs be able to deal with this or is there another way? Pest treatment company? The rug is already needing some rather extensive repair/restoration work but the hitchhikers need to be all dead quick. Thanks for any input. Did a quick search but didn't find much that was helpful. Not sure if mothballs will kill these things, especially since it needs to penetrate between the layers of backing.

Looking for helpful info as to what to do to insure all the bugs are dead before I proceed with restoration work. Going to put it in a freezer for now. Wondering if an extended stay in the freezer will also kill them .. and any eggs.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

If the rug needs extensive restoration, I would remove the felt and replace with new. You can then expose any insects and treat. I would not trust any cleaning company with someone's bear rug.

3. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

I seen a guy with a booth at the Safari Club convention that specialized in cleaning bugs/vermin in taxidermy mounts. Cant remember the name. You might call Safari Club and see if they can help.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Put it in a freezer for a few weeks. All hatched beetles will be dead, and it will possibly take out eggs also.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Ok. Thanks. It's going to stay in the freezer until I find someone to restore it. This is a good sized polar bear rug. Typical of old rugs, the hide has several areas that are coming apart. I need the hide completely glued to a backing to prevent further ripping and the torn loose pieces glued back in place. Minor repair work to the lower front lip. Can anyone recommend someone trustworthy that can do this? I can ship it to anyone to do the work. Just need to find someone that can do this and do it right. There is only one local taxidermist to me that might be able to do it and they might be away for a while. Waiting to hear back from a couple of museums but, so far, I have no leads.

If you read this Randy, do you think Safari Club could recommend someone to do work like that? There is someone on here who seems to do a lot of bear rugs but they also stiffed me on a couple of different bear skulls that they agreed to sell to me and then went and sold them to someone else. They apologized but, if they can't keep things straight, I would be hesitant to have them do work like this.

Note: I did just discover that Jonas Bros is still in business? I thought they were long gone. Their site does state that they do restoration work. Has anyone ever dealt with the new generation of the family?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020