1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Large Redear (shellcracker) Fins

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Looking for someone that has replacement fins for a 12, 13, and 15 1/2 inch redear (shell crackers) for a restoration of some horrid readers (shell crackers) that were mounted in Arizona form Lake Havasu. (Probably the worst paint job I have ever seen in my 36 years in taxidermy). Additionally the entire fish were coated with some kind of fin coating so thick there was no scale detail on one of them. A real mess to remove.

Anyone know of anyone? I could use bluegill fins but the pectoral fin is different on a redear (sharper edged). If I have to I will use large bluegill fins (Lake country has sets for up to 15 inch bluegills) and get a sharper edged fin from another species.

Not seeing any with Starfish or Lake Country.

Thanks!

Kerby Ross likes this.
  2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Lake Havasu has produced the past 2 World Record Red Ear Sunfish. Over 5 lbs. There have been quite a few caught over 4 lbs. I am not sure who mounted the one you have now, but TIMJO used to post on here and he has done a few reproductions of some really nice Red Ear Sunfish. He might have a set of repro fins. Worse case scenario is that you can always make your own by sculpting them in clay/hgih fiber etc. and molding them.

:)

Kerby...

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Why not just alter some gill fins?

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

1. Not sure the gill fins would be large enough.
    2. The pectoral fin on a redear is different than a bluegill.

That said that is an option.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

These are definitely not Timjo's work. Timjo does outstanding work and I've seen first fish better than these. That said Timjo had never been very friendly to me here probably due to my politics.

Kerby Ross likes this.
  6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

You can take some Sculpy and make your own. :)

Kerby...

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

If I do that might as well order some that are gel coated which I have access to. LOL. I'm just going to go with 12, 13 an 15 inch bluegills sets from Lake Country. Even if the pectoral fin is not anatomically correct the fish will still be 1000 percent better than they were.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Cecil
    Let me look in the morning at what molds I have
    Got several of Dondi molds
    Will let you know

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Clew thanks but I went ahead and ordered large bluegill fins from Lake Country.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  10. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    10-4