1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Questions On First Hide On Taxidermy Project.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Whitelightnin, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. Im beginning to attempt my first hide on taxidermy project with a raccoon shoulder pedestal mount. My pelt is currently in the pickle as I wait for my form and the rest of my supplies to arrive. I am prepping the hide doing the McKenzie tanning system. My questions are to you experienced folks. Would you apply hide paste to the pedestal form or just sew the hide on the form dry? Reason I ask is I watched a video where a guy sewed a lifesized bobcat mount on a dry form. I would assume adding paste would be better option. Also for the ears of the raccoon I am not using ear liners. I plan to fill and shape them with bondo. Is that a good plan or do you guys have a better option? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Whitelightnin

5D26C2B4-4BBD-4B27-957D-267C302723B4.png

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use hide paste on everything and on every inch of the form regardless of species, size, or type of creature. Hide paste for elk, rabbit, squirrel, bird or antler mount.

msestak and Whitelightnin like this.
  4. Whitelightnin

My thoughts were to use the hide paste so Im glad I ordered it. I figure If I didn’t use it on the raccoon I would on a future project.

msestak and Tanglewood Taxidermy like this.
  5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Bondo ears will be OK on your raccoon. I would sand the form and use hide paste.

Whitelightnin and msestak like this.
  6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Anybody who mount anything without hide paste is doing taxidermy wrong!
    This is why we despise you tube cause of so much bad information out there. now there are some good ones but your looking at only 5% being good information

Westcoast and msestak like this.
  7. Whitelightnin

This was actually a master series taxidermy educational DVD by Bill Atkins where I seen it.

msestak likes this.
  8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Lol then he ain’t no master cause any master ( TRUE) master taxidermist will always use some type of hide paste.

If you do a search on here , you’ll find out how foolish his work is . He’s a so called by himself not his peers . Just a quick search will let you know how wrong his work is.

Whitelightnin and msestak like this.
  9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

From the one DVD I saw parts of from Bill Atkins, I'm not a fan. That's not a fair critique, as it was only a part of one video, but it was enough for me to seek video instruction from other companies.

10. Whitelightnin

It seemed like a fair enough video but Im green as can be on hide on taxidermy so Im in no shape to judge but it did stand out to me that he didn’t use hide paste when every other educational source Ive watched or read uses paste. Ive tanned a few hides before and have done plenty of european mounts for myself and others. Im anxious to try my hand at hide on. Ive got a couple bobcats and a red fox I trapped this past season in my freezer I will eventually try to mount myself. Im too stubborn to quit so I believe Ill become decent at it in time.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Though glueing the hide to the form is never a bad thing, however, the feature of hide paste that I really like is that it helps me taxi the skin around. Many benefits to hide past and only one drawback, which is when it gets into the hair.