1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unique Question From First Timer - Alternate Fawn Jawsets

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by FlySure, Aug 2, 2020.

1. FlySure

FlySure New Member

I'm working on a creative project that has brought me into the world of taxidermy and am working on a modified Fawn, so my question may seem unusual for experienced practitioners of this craft so please realize this is for a conceptual art piece and not a traditional mount and no disrespect is intended.

I'm looking to make this fawn appear "aggressive" or "fierce" so I'd like to have it showing its teeth or "snarling". Unfortunately I couldn't find any open mouth fawn forms (working with a standing closed mouth) so I'm trying to figure the best way to create the mouth that would help represent this.

I realize this is an unorthodox question. Any helpful suggestions or advice/input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If you don’t know how to alter a form to a open mouth, you probably shouldn’t be doing this to begin with , and I’m sorry why would anyone in there right mind take something as beautiful and peaceful as a fawn and do what you are describing, sorry most real Taxidermist won’t be a fan of this as it is a disgrace to the animal itself.

George, Westcoast and 15pt like this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The alteration you will need to do takes experience in open mouth alterations to do it justice, as it is a difficult task. I have done it on adult deer twice and it was a real challenge on the first one and not so easy on the second one. I had been doing taxidermy for many years before I did these. If you go slow and plan everything out before you attempt it, you can do it though. Good luck.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

You have to Separate the bottom jaw from the form carefully maintaining the lip line. The cut at the lip line should extend back an inch or two from the lips to the back of where the jaw bone would be. Then a perpendicular cut is made to the neck line to make complete separation. Look at open mouth forms with bottom jaw as a separate piece that has to be attached - that is what you try to create. A Dremel tool is helpful for this entire process.
    Then you have to cut out a void in the upper and lower jaw of the form for the artificial jaw set (the teeth) to set into. Cut off excess form material to allow for the jaw to be open but in a natural position where the jaw line is correct and the teeth line up correctly. As there are no jaw sets for fawns that I am aware of, and the look you are going for is more “aggressive”, you will probably need to try a fox or raccoon jaw set.
    The jaw set needs to be attached to the form with a glue or epoxy of some kind (hot glue works well). When the jaw set (teeth) is attached, then the bottom jaw needs to be attached back to the form with screws, bondo or foam.
    This alteration process is not a simple process. Watch as many videos of jaw set attachment as you can to get an idea of how attach a jaw set understanding you have to first cut off and create the separate jaw piece that will reattach in a different position. It’s doable - taxidermists do it all the time, but it is not simple and there are a lot of little details about the process I have not covered in this simple explanation trying to answer your basic question. Good luck with it.

5. FlySure

FlySure New Member

Mike, thanks so much for the reply. I've watched some videos on altering the form to open mouth so I know its doable but very detailed. More importantly, I really appreciate your suggestion regarding the jaw set, I can't find any for fawns and was considering something like a raccoon that might fit, but edited my original post after the first reply got nasty for even asking about that.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Mike Noonkester markets a sika deer jawset that would work but as you only need the bottom front teeth and tongue, it would be easier to sculpt the with white Apoxie. That a Titanic adventure for a beginner on such a delicate creature. HOWEVER, you gotta start somewhere. Good luck.

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

study the mouth of wolfs. how they snarl and show there teeth.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If you still have the skull, you can freeze it, and cut out the jawset on a bandsaw. Soak them in denatured alcohol a few days, then borax them and they will be ready to use. I've done this on bobcats and foxes many times. This will be a snap if all you need is the bottom jaw.

Westcoast likes this.