1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cape Buffalo Help

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by bigbear 669, Aug 4, 2020.

1. bigbear 669

bigbear 669 Member

Anybody do a tutorial on mounting and finishing a Cape buffalo that they would be willing to share ? PM me.
    Thanks

2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Bigbear, can you be more specific as to what part of the process would best help you. There is no doubt, that you will be tasked with some unique issues: ie maintaining loose looking skin, rebuilding soft pedicule p buff.jpg roperly and most of all the final finishing and coloring. These are just a couple of things you will have to deal with. Glad to help if you could be more specific Cape Buffalo.jpg Cape Buffalo.jpg Buff 2.jpg

3. Dwight Corle

Dwight Corle New Member

Hello Crablover,

I too would l love to have more information regarding mounting a cape buffalo. I shot a nice bull last year in South Africa and just got it here to the states am looking for any helpful tips I can get since this will be my first Cape Buffalo mounting experience. My questions primarily involve how to best build back up the bosses where the boiling process eroded some away. and then the finish painting and coloring of the hide etc. Also how to best treat the horns, both color wise and any special treatment you did to make them look so natura. I would be honored to find out how you made the bull in these pictures looks so natural and realistic, Beautiful Mount!!

Thanks,

Dwight

4. crablover

• Dwight, I fill the horns with foam then scrub the heck out of them with TSP, multiple times then let dry well. I use laytex caulk ( black) as a filler, then epoxy clay over that to detail and replace the soft pedicle around the horn base. When the finishing of the mount starts, recolor and blend the horn base. The mud is yellow dextrin tinted with tempera paint. I then dust with the saw dust of MDF board as well as the skin and spay with matt lacquer.
    • As for hide coloring, there are a few different ways to do that. For me it is dependent on the amount of epidural color loss of the tanned cape. I like to dye the cape from the backside. Some choices for that are Flank Dye Powder, Liquid Shoe Polish, Potassium Permanganate and paint. Hope this helps

Dwight Corle likes this.
  5. Dwight Corle

Dwight Corle New Member

Thank you very much for the information!! How exactly do you fill the horns with foam and what foam do you use? I would guess you would have to drill holes in them and inject the foam?

6. crablover

Dwight, you should notice that the bone core under the horn shell is not solid, but filled with voids, pockets and channels much like swiss cheese or an ocean sponge. This causes field processors to over boil the skull and horn. It is also required for export that all animal parts be acid dipped , hence the multiple scrubbing with TSP to remove residual grease and organic material. Once dry, you can drill small holes if needed to insert the tube end of window and door foam to fill all the voids. I use Great Stuff brand for this. You could also use 2 lb pour in foam and fill from the horn base opening. Either method will fill all internal voids, bond the skull and horn as well as eliminate any issues with insects. Hope this helps and good luck

Dwight Corle likes this.
  7. Dwight Corle

Dwight Corle New Member

Thank you!! Great information and I will follow it!!