1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flexible Pike Skin

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Istvan, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Istvan

Istvan New Member

Hi everyone!

First of all excuse for my poor english, I will do my best.
    I'm really beginner in taxidermy and interested only in pike. I'm crazy about fishing and would like to keep my next PB pike.I have maybe a bit big goal to start, but probably i will have enough time to get enough experience.
    I want to preserve the pike like a real one and keep it in aquarium (only water!), so when someone takes out that must to be realistic.
    I will mold an exactly same size of flexible body, so my biggest problem is the flexibility of skin/fins/mouth. The skin will get a thin (flexible) protection layer at end, what material would be the best for it?
    My plan is to inject some formaldehyde or glycelor into the skin, and seal it with the protection layer. Very important to not loose the colour while the process.
    How would you do this? (step by step)
    What materials would you use, if their costs are not important?
    I'm catching pike almost every week, so i can do enough practice on them until the new PB.
    Please send me any video or website that can help to me, or just related to the topic.

Thank you very much! :)
    Istvan

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  2. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    I won't say it can't be done but I see no way to achieve what want. Don't understand why you want to keep it in an aquarium with water......having said that, I'd go with a total reproduction. Mold with plaster and cast with flexible latex. You'd have to paint and I have no idea how to seal it so that it wouldn't crack when moved and so that the water wouldn't affect the paint job.

Curious to read the response from others....but at least we got the discussion started.
    Best wishes.............jerry

Istvan likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

To do any type of this is cast it. A skin mount is out of the question here. To many variables and more of a total failure than a success.
    Your going to be doing and using theatrical components. Stuff like they are using in creating flexible fish like sharks etc.
    you’re going to be using a flexible silicone, foam, paints etc.
    look into rubber companies that are in that field like smooth-on for better knowledge.

Istvan likes this.
  4. Istvan

Istvan New Member

Thanks Jerry! I tought it won't be easy, but i hope there is solution in the Plastic Age. :) I would like to keep it in water, because i'd make a huge circle aquarium in my room (next to the walls), and the pike can "swim" around on a electric rail. That's why must be water, and sometimes i must to take it out to repair. Also fun to hold it again, especially if it was my personal record.

Have a nice day! :)
    Istvan

5. Istvan

Istvan New Member

Thank you Frank!
    May i ask some links for an example? How would you start it? The painting is not problem (of course not by me), i'm more afraid about the flexibility of skin/fins.

Have a nice day! :)
    Istvan

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You want to look into foam companies as smooth-on is one just google and you’ll find near you

7. Istvan

Istvan New Member

Oh okay, i have found it, thank you Frank it looks decent!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.