1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by LostNewbie, Aug 6, 2020.

1. LostNewbie

LostNewbie Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I don't think you have anything to worry about. There are a couple of ways to calm your fears. Buy a simple hunting license, a state, and federal duck stamp. This will allow you to possess migratory waterfowl. The other way is to apply for a migratory waterfowl permit through USFWS. The cost is $100 for a 5 year permit. You will need one of these if you plan to continue mounting migratory waterfowl.

Dannynewman and LostNewbie like this.

3. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

You need no permit or licence at all to mount waterfowl if you are not selling or charging others to mount. Joey is incorrect in his post. The bird does have to be legally acquired however. In your case, a simple call to your DNR office with how you found the bird, would have cleared you of any legal issues. Unlike the post above, you need no hunting licence to mount ducks, and buying a licence after the fact, when the duck is already mounted is bad advice

Dannynewman likes this.
  4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You can not mount any migratory bird for anyone without a license... check your laws. You can however mount your own only. You can’t sell it or try saying their only paying for the base. It’s been tried and it failed.
    Your fine but when you turn 18 get yourself licensed and you’ll never worry again.
    If your ever unsure always call your commission up. They’ll advise you better but call the main office not local. Good luck and enjoy

bucksnort10 and LostNewbie like this.
  5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

As others have said depending on your state laws you may or may not need a State license. Here in TX no license is required to perform any type of taxidermy. I do not need a license or USFWS Migratory Permit to mount my own legally acquired birds, i.e. ducks, geese, dove etc. But if I have other people birds in my possession for profit or not than I am required to obtain the USFWS Migratory Permit.

We would love to see pictures of the start of your taxidermy career!! My first ones were ridiculously bad!!

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Just trying to calm the kids nerves...there’s no shortage of things to worry about. There are mounted ducks in thousands of homes and businesses that are in the possession of people without licenses or permits.

7. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Joeym is right about the. Possession will require the liscence and duck stamps. In Alabama I cannot even give someone a deer to eat if they don't have a hunting liscence.

8. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

All good points made about the licensing/laws. Good luck on your venture. Dan

9. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

One thing that stands out to me is this statement above. All preening should be done before you put the tape on. If you plan to let it dry and then pull the tape and then preen......it ain't going to happen

LostNewbie likes this.