1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Delicates And Sewing.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Abbey Normal, Aug 6, 2020.

1. I have an infant raccoon I'm working on. Skin is super thin. I'm afraid to sew the seam. Is there a paint on coating or something I can use to coat the area to provide some stability before sewing? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

msestak and Robert Baker like this.
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Having a name like above is not going to get you help or respect in the taxidermist field. JMO
    Glue and pin in place but even skins like this we can sew. It’s having the right needle to do it.

Abbey Normal likes this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    In such a situation it is important to not stretch the skin as you sew, in fact you want a little slack on the form, use a good hide paste and sew the seam up with a small needle and light thread but only snug the stitches up slowly and carefully. once sewed up gently taxi any slack where it needs to go but don't stretch the seam.

Robert Baker and Abbey Normal like this.
  4. Just an internet alias and a hobbyist trying to learn :). Thank you everyone. Valuable input and appreciated

msestak likes this.
  5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

use super glue .... and your name is a great reference to a classic movie... love it !

msestak, Westcoast and Abbey Normal like this.
  6. My all-time favorite. Thanks for the tip. I will give this a try

msestak likes this.
  7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Frau blucher...... wheee heee heee heee

msestak and Abbey Normal like this.
  8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Depending on the scene, Igor's hump would be on the left or the right. Marty Feldman would switch it often without the knowledge of anyone. It was only discovered when watching the film after it was completed.

Each person gave sound advise. I have done all three with equal success.

msestak and Abbey Normal like this.
  9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Lay a used dryer sheet inside glue oneside down to it then glue and butt other side inplace up to it

10. I LOVE THIS!!! Thanks so much. Hide paste work, or super glue

msestak likes this.
  11. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You want to have hide paste to each side your not trying to glue that dryer sheet to form just the seam together with super gel glue , closing seam cut , then push hide paste under and around dryer sheet just like if you would have sewed it up to taxi hide in place

12. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Super glue. Hide paste would take too long to set up. Don't get any in the hair