1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by crablover, Aug 6, 2020.

1. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Always a pleasure and great payday to work on special USF&W permitted species and collections. I have been so fortunate to get many species each year. It has been a great learning experience to blend old school with new, alter process's , work with many new products and get paid well for the effort. Skull shows my choice P1050898.png P1050811.JPG for a strong wire attachment for a ridged strong connection as well as strengthening the skull as well P1050898.png

2. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

That looks awesome,good job.I got to do a snowy owl a couple years ago for a wildlife preserve I wish I got more phone calls like that

magicmick and Dannynewman like this.

3. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

Sweet mount

4. Nice Crablover!!

5. ARUsher

ARUsher Active Member

Very nice!

6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I am so jealous!!

Since November of last year I have been working with a local COE group who run one of the local marsh projects. They have a visitor that they want me to fill with an assortment of native birds that they have in a freezer including a adult Bald eagle. The list includes lots of water birds and songbirds. First will be a Roseatte spoonbill, GB Heron, Brown pelican and the eagle.

They just informed me all the necessary permits have been obtained and now applying for funds so let's get started on the birds.

Now the jealous part. They called and said the Game Warden who has all the birds donated them to a university. YIKES!!!! All but the Bald Eagle. So I'm jealous of you getting to work on these and of the incredible job you did

bucksnort10 likes this.
  7. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Wildthings, be prepared to reach into your bag of tricks. Almost all the birds you receive will have problems since they are found dead, road kills, disease and on and on. You usually have to make the bodies and go old school on the heads. Overcoming the many issues you will face is very rewarding, as well as the unique knowledge you will gain. Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you

Wildthings likes this.
  8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

real heads and bills is not really old school its just a method that most snap together guys never learned... but true a lot of birds for nature centers museums etc are road kills window crashes immature dried up freezer burned .. looks like the heron was a pain to groom

9. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

very well done! Great job