1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tinting Apoxie Sculpt

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Aug 7, 2020.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I was hoping to get some suggestions on how to tint my Natural Apoxie Sculpt to better match the lower jaw and belly on my bass and crappie skin mounts. I've tried white Apoxie Sculpt but it was too white in my opinion.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Buy some different colored flock from McKenzie. I use red, black, brown. and white to tint my Apoxie.

Keith likes this.

3. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks Joey!

4. joeym

A pound of red will last most of your taxidermy career. Just drop a ball of apoxie in it, retrieve, knead the flock into it. If not tinted to your liking, repeat the process.

slabbandit and Dannynewman like this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Any dry powdered paint works great. Then you can use even waterbase paints but I like using pan pastels to color my epoxy .

Keith likes this.
  6. joeym

I haven't tried pan pastels for tinting Apoxie! I have a wide variety of them. Thanks!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  7. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Do a test run, mix and let harden so you get a feel of the color change. The end color result is not the same as when you first mix it.

I don't do fish, but use red flock for open mouth mammals.

8. Ihntdeer

Ihntdeer Member

You can also use inexpensive acrylic paint to tint Apoxie

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Magic Sculpt is a better match. Works the same way.

I sure do like the Klei for head work on a fish. Almost don't have to paint it.

10. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I just bought a new 1lb set of Apoxie Sculpt but I'll try these others sometime.

Cecil likes this.