1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salted Hide Value

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Blacktail Doe, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Hi all, I received some salted hides from a taxidermist but I don't have any use for them. I would like to sell them but i'm not sure what they'd be worth. I searched for similar items but no luck, can anyone tell me what a fair price would be?

I have a lifesize Red Stag, a lifesize Benchleg Deer, a Caribou Cape, and a Mountain Goat Backhide. All have been properly turned, fleshed, and salted

Thank You!
    [email protected]

Update: Ok thanks guys, maybe I'll try a tannery.

IMG_2711.jpg IMG_3213.jpg IMG_2841.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone not from Oregon knows what a benchleg deer is?

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Never heard of one.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

We hear of them here in Oregon. Depending on who you talk to, it can mean any number of things. I have heard that they are big bodied, short legged coastal blacktails. I have also heard that a benchleg is a blacktail/mulie cross found in the High Cascades of Oregon. If the later is the case, my party and I have killed several, as we hunt the boarder of the High Cascades and have killed pure blacktails, pure mulies and crosses in the same area.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Without knowing size and even conditions of the skin the value is minimal.
    If you can afford it , I would get them tanned and even ask the tannery to buy them from you.
    Their useless per say cause of this. Also being a doe is even less value. I would contact a tannery and go from there.

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Her name has doe in it but her post says nothing bout being a doe . Just bringing that to your attention lol getting old sucks don’t it

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ya it does lol

8. rej3

rej3 New Member

Do you still have the caribou cape available? Thanks for your time