1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cites Document Question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Dinobear, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Dinobear

Dinobear New Member

Hi i have a wolf which came with a photo copy of the original cites paperwork from the seller. Does having a photo copy still make it legal to own or do you have to have the original copy?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Does it have a tag with it? On the critters that are cites listed that I have trapped, there was never any paperwork given to me but a tag was attached to the hides.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Why did the seller not give you the actual document? That is what needs to stay with the hide. Not copies of it. He no longer owns the hide. There is no reason for him to keep the documents. I do not know Australian paperwork but he should have filled out a transfer of ownership document, or drafted one of his own and sent it along with the original.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I am no legal expert, particularly down under, but as I understand it, the CITES tag stays with the pelt for transport across state or national boundaries. Once mounted the tag is no longer required to be attached to the hide. The photocopy document you have may suffice along with a record of the purchase and who you purchased it from for the sake of possession. If you ever wanted to sell or transport the item is where further documentation would be required. Check with your local officials for definitive answers.

joeym likes this.