1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ph Level And Neutralization

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Hightailtaxidermy, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Hightailtaxidermy

Hightailtaxidermy New Member

I am new to taxidermy and just mixed my first pickle for a deer hide. My ph is at 1.5. My questions are how often do I check it and how long should it remain in the pickle before neutralizing it? Second, what is the mixture and time frame to neutralize the hide? Thanks

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Look up my post bout 4-5 days ago

Neutralizing tell me why . Should have all your anwsers there

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Didn't you do research and obtain instruction on the total process of tanning start to finish before you started?

4. Hightailtaxidermy

Hightailtaxidermy New Member

Yes I did, but I thought I would get some helpful advice from a genius like urself. Thanks for nothing

5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

and another new member with a smartass attitude that wants immediate answers

tem likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Your first post indicated that you didn't know what the neutralizing mixture and times were. So I thought I'd ask before I continued with information.

If you would have answered; yes, I did, but I thought I would get some more insight on it, I would have given you as much information as I could, which is from many years of study and practice, however, since you thanked me for nothing, it is what I will offer to you.

A snotty attitude like yours will get you nowhere with many on here, including me.

George, jrandall71, ARUsher and 3 others like this.
  7. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    Just rub some borax on the damn hide and put it on the form!!

tem likes this.
  8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I check it every hour on the hour then then I’ll mix up whatever I need to make it neutral then tan it with eggs and mayo
    Best one around

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

You mean you don't tan with turpentine? What about degreasing with kerosine?

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Nah man I watch my heath issues as I get carried away cause I have the taste for that mix. You did mean pure grain alcohol mix right? Ohh hell ya I see my copper still going on now with that fresh corn . Ohh I might need that rehab center again .

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.