1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Ideas To Build Fish Holding Cradle

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Aug 9, 2020.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I need to build a fish holding cradle for working on my crappie and large bream. Right now I am just using a small plastic tote. I've seen a few on guys workbenches in pics. Could I get a few pics with measurement suggestions? Thanks

steve henline likes this.
  2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    upload_2020-8-9_19-4-28.jpeg

3. Clew

York, SC
    Here is one for when I’m doing only one of a kind
    Made from PVC

4. Clew

York, SC
    I have a stand in the center of my shop that rotates
    Holds eight fish

5. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

That's neat! I was just looking at some leftover 1 1/2" electrical PVC from wiring my new shop. May grab some fittings and see what I can come up with. Thanks

6. Clew

York, SC
    The electrical type my not have the stiffness

7. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Yea, you're right. But, It's 1 1/2" and I'm not making it very big. Probably just a little table top model. May work. I saw one once built out of 1 x 4's at a friends shop.
    I just mounted a huge crappie "Reverse C" and it was a problem trying to work on the seam side.

8. After looking at the illustration, I went to the hardware shop spent less than $20 and built one similar, but with a major alteration: the pvc tubing that establishes the width was NOT glued in so I could put shorter or longer pieces in as needed. Shorter for smaller fish and longer for those long fish like Pike.
    I didn't measure anything. I just looked at the picture and started cutting. I think it turned out fine and I can fine-tune it as time goes by.

Attached Files:

9. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks, I really like your design Clew and that's a good idea Steve to be able to change up the width.

10. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

These are basic, inexpensive and easy to make any size you want in about 15 minutes. 20201016_081332.jpg 20201016_081245.jpg

11. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

The PVC stands look very restrictive for close up hand detailing, and take up table space. Bill's wood stands are what I use, can be made really quick and cost zero from wood scraps. Nice job on the PVC ones

12. Clew

York, SC
    I have both
    The pvc can be manipulated In turns
    They are both great stands

13. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

just put in on your deer mounting stand

Cecil and 3bears like this.
  14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I built a mounting cradle out of scrap plywood and swim noodles cut down to size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I gave away my deer mounting stand years ago when I stopped doing game heads to specialize in fish, but just ordered another one as I have a slew of musky and pike to mount. The right shoulder can't take holding on to the paint stick while I paint them anymore. I've got bursitis of the right shoulder.