1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trapper Dried Furs / Lutan-f?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Nitrosteel, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Nitrosteel

Nitrosteel New Member

I’ve got some furs that were put up on stretchers after being properly fleshed. I’ve always sent these out to Moyle’s to be tanned, but am thinking of tanning myself with Lutan-f. They have not been salted at all, but are completely dry. I’ve been reading on the forums that fur must be salted in order to absorb this tan.

Are they ok to follow the remaining instructions for Lutan-f or do I need to do something different?

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If it is thoroughly fleshed and completely dried I do not think the salt part of the process is necessary, but it has been my experience that the hides do need to be re-hydrated before being put into the pickle.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok tapper furs are handled this way cause what’s used in the industry is much different than what we as taxidermist like.
    To hydrate air dried skins ( we get them like this from all over the world no big deal) is to get yourself some enzol-b It’s great on these skins and aids well in hydrating them back.
    From there is the same process, pickle, shave , degreased pickle neutralize tan and oil or use a rub on tan with oil but choosing lutan is fine ( industry standard) then oil.
    Salt is used for pulling out non tannable fluids, slows the growth of bacteria and ease of storage.
    Now you may or may not get slippage. Does that mean doing air dried cause it? Nope. Fox are notorious for face slippage (ears) they have a lot of bacteria on them cause their flesh eaters . Good luck and enjoy