1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pan Pastels For Turkey Heads.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Tanglewood Taxidermy, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I bought some pan pastels from Matuska, along with the Payday candy bar, was light blue Pthalo Blue, red, white and a purple ish color. I did two hen turkey heads with them. I went on Youtube and watched some videos as well as Matuska's website and watched some videos that had them in it for various critters. The heads were done with the real skull in my shop and were essentially the same as a freeze dried head. These hens had unusually feathered heads, as in the entire head and neck. Air brushing over the feathers didn't seam like a good idea.

I mixed the colors for the first one on the head itself. I lifted the feathers with a probe and I applied the color between feathers. I layered them like I would an airbrush. It is fine powder. I applied it with various applicators that I purchased with them. The micro applicators work extremely well. Once I laid the color down I would seal it to the head with Krylon Workable Fixatif, which dried quickly between layers. It came out every bit as good as when I airbrush them and since it is powder in a container, clean up was a breeze and you can leave the lid of and not worry about drying because it's powder.

For the second one, I mixed the colors on a paper towel and then rolled the applicator on the paper towel and then applied it the head, which worked equally well. The Workable Fixatif is the key to making it work as it fixes the material to the medium so it won't rub off.

Using a stippling action worked well as did a more of a brush stroke action.

In the end, I had two turkey heads done in pan pastels that looked as well as ones done with an airbrush with almost no clean up time and no fiddling with the airbrush. I think on a tom head with more crevasses and such, a combination of air brush and pan pastels would be the best way to go with them.

Trevor Patterson likes this.
  2. I completely agree Tanglewood. Like you mentioned I use a mixture of airbrushing and pan pastels for my turkey heads. Airbrush to lay a base color down and finish the rest with pastels. Love the soft look you can achieve and how well the colors blend. This is the way to go for me and I even use pastels on some of my duck bills from time to time.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Matuska uses them on game heads as well. A very versatile product to add to your arsenal.

4. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Tangle, would love to see some pictures of the finished heads

bucksnort10 and Wildthings like this.
  5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Yeah what crablover said!!

6. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Tangle, please share some of your helpful posts with some pictures for others to follow. Can't find one picture in almost 6,000 posts. It sure would complete your continued sharing of knowledge

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

PM sent.