1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Considering A Big Investment Expanding My Business

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Clovis Point, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Some of you may have seen my for sale post for the bourbon barrel head panels.
    https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/432593/#post-2815206
    I feel like these could be really popular, and I’ve been trying to look at it from a business perspective and am considering taking out a 1/4 page ad in Breakthrough and making a simple e-commerce website on a platform like wix or similar. My physical overhead on each one is only about $6 each and they take 10-30 min to put together each. I have access to a nearly indefinite supply. The ad would cost me about $600 for a year. The website about $30 a month. I have a photographer friend who would do the photos but would likely need to hire someone to make the ad meet Breakthroughs criteria (would probably hire a freelancer through fiverr).

I’m a farmer, taxidermist, DJ, and an overall all round Hustler, but I don’t have any formal business training nor enough experience to know if this would be a wise business venture or not. Also , am I too steep on my prices? Where should I be ?

opinions ?

Attached Files:

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If your going to do this , you need to somehow patten the idea . As it wood be very easy for someone to take this idea and run with it . Also I wouldn’t just limit this to Taxidermy, there is a lot of things you could make with these . Candle holders , picture frames it’s endless. Very cool idea but you should call a patten lawyer for all the legality issues you may or could have . Just my opinion if your trying to go big .

3. I have an Etsy shop ( www.etsy.com/shop/tomahawktaxidermy ) where I sell wall decore and will be adding serving trays, Lazy Susan’s, coat racks, and business card holders... Just the signs have NETTED me a cool $1600 in the first two months. I’m not the only person out there repurposing bourbon barrels but I have never seen anyone else use the heads in taxidermy (I’ve seen a few people use full barrels as pediatools that’s it)

Since we are on the subject, I’m also thinking of just adding a “ taxidermy panel” listing in my Etsy shop and funneling everything through there as opposed to creating my own sight... They take a percentage but it’s less than the difference their shipping discount gives me. I checked and when I use their discount it saves me like 35% (priced shipping a single head to northern Ohio and straight postal service retail price was $27 and with Etsy discount it was like $18)

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Its been done.... over in sconny they sell barrel lids with clocks sconces candle holders pictures and saw one with antler euro mount... so prob something you cant patent

5. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I can't imagine you could patent this anyway.

This most likely would be a fad item if it took off, but if you can make a few bucks, go for it. A fast nickel is better than a slow dime.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I took a leap of faith 12 years ago and began offering CAMO skulls. Before long, I was doing them for both customers and other local taxidermists. I was told by naysayers it was only a passing fad...but, I'm here to tell you, 12 years later and hundreds of skulls, the demand hasn't slowed down. All you can do is try...

"It's better to have tried and failed than to live life wondering what would've happened if I had tried." - Alfred Lord Tennyson.

7. Thanks for everyone’s input. Whisky barrel items are all the rage in the home decor world at the moment.... like others have said i struggle to see patentability

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you also might run into brand infringement from the whiskey makers printed on the lids.... without some letter of approval for reselling

9. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Just sell them on this sight, just put "one of a kind" "Art or ARTWORK" in the description. if the maker put the logo or mark on it and you do nothing but sell it as a one of a kind artistic wall display, your golden.

10. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Here’s another thought. I saw here where a fella took a deer skull with the skull cap cut off. Cleaned and bleached then put some peat moss in the brain cavity and put some succulents or air plants in there. Mounted on some barn wood or whatever.