1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Show Artificial Parts.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by RichMO, Aug 12, 2020.

1. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Ok I know there is a huge difference in what is allowed between Masters and Professional when it comes to parts. I like to get an idea on other states and what is allow... I have the Clint Ricky disc. and in there he uses the ear liners with the inner ear detail....(I assume this is allowed in Professional Division Only). Discussed is artificial noses...what is allowed? (Professional ?? Masters??). Several shows ago a discussion was on mouth cups and what is allowed in the Masters Division of the World Show... I know that you are only allowed to use your own ( . ). So I guess that is back to ear liners and nose? Do you have to cast any of these as your own parts? Thanks Rich

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

repo antlers... fake duck bills... cast turkey heads... fake glass or plastic eyes... fake teeth... cast duck feet...fake combs or air sacs wattles...freeze dried parts.... where do you draw the line.... you at least need fake eyes

RichMO likes this.

3. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

I agree where do you end and begin. So I guess that ear liners with inner ear molded into the plastic like the ones from Ohio is permissable in the Masters? and artifical nose bought from McKinze is ok for the Masters? I do know that on an open mouth deer you must cast your own mouth cup.

4. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

it probably depends on the association. In VA you can use store bought parts but get extra points for making your own. Unless there problems with them. Then you may have done better with store bought. I enjoy making my own fish parts and starting to get into mammal parts. Kinda addicting to pull that first part and see how it looks.

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

none of that should matter... fake parts cast parts freeze dry whatever....people get too hung up on unimportant details... finished product that best resembles nature is all that matters....thats why most of the very best taxidermists dont enter competitions anymore

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Rich is going to be different from state to state and since this is deer rules are different as many states allow you to use anyone’s casted parts in competition as most who compete in states don’t go to worlds cause of many different reasons.
    You must and should inform the state show to what you did and what you used for parts.
    Plus to hear that so many top notch taxidermist very best don’t compete because of this is hog wash as most can’t either take a criticism or they think they know more than a judge . We all know it’s an opinion done very true facts are there but it’s how we learn if we want to be on top. I’ve seen that attitude way to many times even from teachers who think they should’ve blued and got a third and the be it all . Then I’ll look it at it and say just because you casted dead parts doesn’t mean it’s done correctly.
    The world show is the anal show to where you must show your knowledge to many judges and it’s in every aspect of taxidermy.
    All in all just about every state I’ve been to allow for anybody’s casted parts. The only way it gets judged different is if your competitors casted their own and it was done correctly. The get the extra point or two to win!

7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Let me add this , I don’t care if it is yours or someone else casted parts , they still have to be used correctly and finished crisp and clean . You can take the best mouth cup or ears and install wrong showing a skin connection seam or something or not blend ur inner ear skin back to that fully detailed ear liner and hurt yourself more that way then anyway else . Competition is a learning tool but it’s also a game . It’s what the judges opinions are , and there not alway right . I took a deer to one show and entered the professionals it scored a 88 , took same buck 2 weeks later did nothing to it , meaning you can take the judges info and fix a few simple things like blending of colors or a little paint on the hair . I did nothing took it to NC put it in the masters and it scored 91 , so just do you to the best you can , use competition as a learning tool and take all they hit you on and all your study reference and and you will be fine , if you made that part or not just be honest and tell them . I know of a certain instance where a guy went and studied and learned how to cast a mouth cup , the teacher had hands on it just as much as the student, said student mounted a deer with it with help from teacher . Took that deer to a competition where teacher was judge and took a blue . Took same deer to another show , different judge and it barely took a red . Like I said it’s a game you can get caught up in or a learning tool . Hopefully you pick the best side to be on , Goodluck