1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Badger Trapping

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by obarr1977, Aug 13, 2020.

1. obarr1977

obarr1977 Member

ohio
    I live in OH, and a badger(and bobcat) are the only animals on my bucket list to trap or shoot, so i'm looking for someone out West to help make this happen. Not looking for a handout, I can pay whatever, but would like to help on a line this winter, and keep(buy) a hide once an animal is caught.

Just looking for a badger to check off the list.

I can provide traps, baits, whatever, just let me know whats needed.

Thanks,

Orion

2. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

badgers are thick in most of the west. caught easily in fox or coyote type sets. I once caught 17 badgers in one 24 hr ck at farson wyoming, all public land so just show up and start trapping. you will need a non resident license. cats are the opposite, relatively scarce in the west and high dollar. if you head south to south texas cats are thick there and catching 10 a day no problem, but near worthless as the avg jan high and low are 80 degrees and 50 degrees. wyoming type cats sell on the fur market for up to a $1,000 each on the top end, where the south texas cats maybe 10 dollars...if you can even find a market at all. cats are a predator in texas so you do not need to buy any non res trapping license. have fun!

obarr1977 likes this.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

But.... the Texas cats make better mounts...

4. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

they have same as no fur(hair..not fur) value so you can buy them for a dime a dozen, or find them thick as fleas to trap. hard to hide a dorsal cut with 1/4" long back sparse back hair. so plentiful they are treated as vermin with no protections or seasons, no lisc needed resident or not. next to a cat with actual hi elevation or northern fur they look like drown rats imo. each to his own. I am just trying to help the guy find high populations of what he wants to catch to finish his bucket list.

5. I think he was being sarcastic Bob, at least I hope he was? ;)

bob wendt likes this.
  6. obarr1977

obarr1977 Member

ohio
    Thanks for the info Bob, I'll start doing some homework.

Richard C likes this.