1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Latex 74 Cracking

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by RichMO, Aug 13, 2020.

1. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Have a question... I use Latex 74 to make a mold of the antler I want to reproduce (i.e. I need to replace a missing brow tine on a set for a customer). I usually paint the latex on a brow tine that I'm going to reproduce. At least 3 coats then another coat with rubber bits added into the the latex. I just checked out the status and notice cracks in it. Decided to just pull it off and start all over. The question I have is on the Latex is it cracking because of shelf live or what???? Anybody have this problem of cracking? Did I put one of the coats on to thick or didn't wait long enough between coats???

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

This might be your problem

Visible cracking and signs of shrinkage with a newly made latex mold is usually associated with the mold being exposed to excessive heat for a long period of time (>150°F for 6 hours or more). Excessive heat also tends to prematurely seal the surface of the latex film, thus trapping moisture inside, which in turn affects the cure and strength of the finished mold. It can also result in delamination between layers.

If you are heat curing your layers of latex to accelerate dry time, you want to keep the heat setting between 120°F-140°F being sure to remove the mold from the heat source when the latest layer shows signs of being cured.

or it’s just bad or got frozen can cause this