1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Temperature And Mounting

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by PessimisticSharkie, Aug 13, 2020.

1. PessimisticSharkie

PessimisticSharkie New Member

I plan to mount my first deer shoulder mount somewhat soon. Does the temperature around it affect the process? The hide will be tanned. I work in my garage currently and it is average 95-100 degrees outside, very hot in the garage too. I could possibly work in my room instead, if that is any better than leaving the mount in the heat.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If cape is tanned correctly you would probably be fine , that said not sure how your other materials will react to the heat , clays will be soft , hide paste will probably be runny . I would mount it in a cooler place if possible and I definitely wouldn’t let it dry in the heat . You want it to dry slowly and I believe the heat will dry it out to quickly . Good luck, post pics when done

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Have a spray bottle with water cause your skin may dry up a lot faster than normal while working on it along with the clay and even the glue.
    Remember this heat is not our friend

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Get everything ready and laid the day before you begin. Start at daylight, and you'll be finished before it gets horridly hot. Ditto on moving the mount inside after mounting.

5. PessimisticSharkie

PessimisticSharkie New Member

I can work in my room then, Im not really afraid of making a mess. Thank you everyone!

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

The only thing that might upset the applecart of working in your room may be fumes from bondo. If you use it on ears or to set antlers, do this outside. It's aroma will permeate your entire home.