1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need A Paint Schedule For A Redear (shellcracker)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Aug 15, 2020.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I mostly mount crappie and bass but have done a few big male bluegills. I am fixing to mount and paint my first Redear (Shellcracker). This is a customer piece so I want to do a good job on the painting.
    I know that I'll probably need a few new colors that I don't have yet. The fish had lost a lot of it's natural colors by the time the guy got it to me so that's not much help.
    Can anybody tell me where I might find a paint schedule for the Redear (Shellcracker)?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

There are so many different variations on this fish that to give one may not be what your looking for.
    It’s best to learn on how to look at your references and come up with one yourself
    It’s how most of use do fish.
    Paint schedules are nice but if you can’t see what a fish has in colors it’s going to be hard for you to get it right.
    I just went through this with a friend (same fish but way different in patterns and some colors) that I told him to look and write one. The person did and told me what he seen. I chuckled and said really. I’ll write you a quick one ( mind you not even a competition schedule) to what I see. When he read my colors, it was wow you see things way different. The reason I see it differently is I’m studying parts of the fish, not the whole fish.
    What colors are in that fin, this goes for all of them as each set are different but colors can flow into them.
    Just look at the face. What bright or dark blues are in there, what metallic paints would I need to make that color underneath and then layer colors.
    If I can’t airbrush, can I use pastels, water pencils etc. What mediums can I use.
    Ok did I make it worse for you to understand? I hope so! Now study your references and try different ways and you’ll be on your way to do a great paint job.
    Ps a color wheel aids in mixing colors but remember not all colors are mixed but thinned and layered on.

light, George and Beltonbanger like this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Great answer, Frank. All too often I think budding taxidermists think that paint schedules are "paint by numbers". Fish have translucent color patterns and no schedule or color wheel is going to help you see how the layering of transparent colors helps recreate that effect. When I painted largemouth bass, I ended up using 21 different colors. It didn't show up to most people until the sunlight brought out the metalics and shimmers. Ive tried teaching the technique of recognizing depth of colors and how to "stack" them for effect, but for some, that proves to be an impossible process.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  4. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Wow George! that 21 color LM Bass must be a real beauty. Would love to see a picture of that

5. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

This is some kind of a hybrid on top of being pretty faded from poor care before I got it. I've yet to aquire good reference materials for this fish. I definitely appreciate what you guys are trying to teach me to do by really looking at the colors in my references.
    Actually, y'all (yes, I'm in Arkansas), gave me pretty much this same advice when I asked a while back about crappie. I took that advice and started really looking at the colors of a freshly caught crappie in the sunlight. Fixing to buy my wife a Canon digital camera and will start me another good reference library. Lost my old reference pics in my fire a few years back.
    Thanks again for the all the help.

6. Frank E. Kotula

Ok now here’s my question as to your question. Why you never say it’s a hybrid in the first place? Lol You wanted a red ear only lol.
    This really makes a lot of folks think here and why we’re not going out on a limb to get real specific here. You have two different fish here and maybe not cause of no photo and plus if we spent the time writing one down it would be incorrect information cause you have a so called hybrid! WTF really!
    You want references just look for them. There’s so much on the net that buying or even collecting them is useless. FB has fish references pic of all kinds of fish and I laughed at a person the other day when they asked me to critique their fish. I got the same thing ( I don’t have anything good) They belong to the same group and I was like here they are . It was duh!!! Folks need to take their time and study put time into looking for answers and not think or be lazy by saying anybody got a paint scheduled or pics lol.

Ok ranting done roflmao

7. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Customer said it was some kind of a hybrid. It was so discolored from floating around in the ice chest I couldn't really tell. Fixing to start skinning and mounting on it this afternoon. Just thought I could get some good quality advice here on a fish I haven't mounted yet for a good customer and friend.
    With smart a## answers like yours Frank I see why most of the good taxidermists here have left and gone to FB!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  8. Frank E. Kotula

You actually have no idea on a smart ass answer. First of all I lead you to your answer, your the lazy person who can’t figure this out. There was nothing smart as you lead us down the wrong road , wanting us to bend over and hand you everything. Now you didn’t get a paint by number paint schedule you call me a smart ass but realize this you got your answer in a professional way but we’re grown ups here and not children who cry when they don’t get what they want . Lol yep I can be a smart ass but if you knew me personally as many do , I’ll help anyone out who asks properly, respects the person and I have no secrets but you’ll never have that opportunity.
    Next time try the child area on ,
    FB taxidermy 101

9. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the wonderful members who were there for me when I lost my shop in a brush fire back in 2014. As I get my new shop put together and get back to what I love, which is mounting big slab crappie, I'm using a lot of the supplies that you guys sent me in the care packages back then. I'm humbled and very appreciative of all the advice I have been given by you guys.
    Thanks again and everyone have a blessed day!

Wally Gator likes this.