1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alligator Hide Storage...

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Panhandler801, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Every time I've had an alligator processed, the shop has fleshed the hide then salted / rolled it. Typically I'll then store them in a brine until the end of season / tags are filled, and then ship them all at once to tannery.

Well there is but one processor near me now, and he does not flesh or salt the hide.

Here's my question / problem. I'm going Friday night and leaving town on Sunday or Monday, so I won't be here when it's done processing. I can have somebody pick up the meat and hide, and drop the hides in my brine. Or that person can drop in a freezer. What I can't do, however, is ask somebody to flesh and salt them for me in my absence.

Questions:

1. Probably not a good idea to put in brine if they haven't been fleshed, huh? It will be about two weeks before I can get to them.

2. Would freezing them do any harm? That wouldn't be a big inconvenience for somebody. Then I could just thaw and flesh them when I get back.

Thanks,

PH80

2. Just freeze it, flesh when you have time.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You are always safe to freeze it.