1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Horn Worms

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by skullclnr, Aug 18, 2020.

1. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Have a customer i did a euro for that called and said there are horn worms on his water buck breaking out of the horns. I remember when it was in the shop little perfect round holes coming through the horns, he said more are starting to show up. any pointers on fumagating these or sealing them so they dont get worse? will try to get a picture. thanks.

2. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

here they are the new ones have the residue coming out. the others were there when they got back from africa. fumigate in a bag? seal with something? any ideas? horn worm 2.jpg horn worm1.jpg

3. Connie Mack Moran

Connie Mack Moran New Member

Texas
    just saw your post. dang, i'm surprised they let that ship with bugs. you can inject pest control in each hole an spray the outside an let dry, but i would be careful of leaving it in your shop. until your ready to work on them, FREEZE THEM. kill everyone of them. then proceed. hope that helps.

4. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Here’s a live cow with that horn flys have got to. They thought she’d injured herself. After I skinned it I saw the maggots. What I discovered was pretty ugly. When the skull cap dried I could crush it in my hands. The maggots had gone completely up into the left core and destroyed it. A525DA2F-E6B2-41E1-B915-235D59F3F4CC.jpeg After seeing all the mess they did when she was alive if she hit something solid with that horn it would have ripped her horn and skull off. It was mush from the center of her skull to her eye socket.
    As you can see she couldn’t even eat.

5. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

thanks for the info all, i am going to tell the customer to bring it in and ill freeze it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020