1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Keep Rats Away From Decomposing Animals?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kayla04, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Kayla04

Kayla04 New Member

so I've been collecting bones from already decomposed animals for a a few months but this is the first time I need to decompose an animal myself. I had originally 3 birds that I set on the ground in my backyard with a milkcrate overtop and a brick to way it down. after a couple days it was working fine, maggots got to the bodies and everything was going good. then I check on the birds and 2 of them are gone. 1 was a zebra finch and the other was a fledgling dove and they were small enough to fit through the milkcrate's holes and since I couldn't find the bodies anywhere I assume it was rats. we have seen rats around the area and on properties next to where I live so this is an issue that I need a solution to. does anyone have any idea what I can place over the bodies that bugs can still get to but rats cant? The only idea I had was to wrap chicken wire around the crate and hopefully the rats cant chew through that.

msestak likes this.
  2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

better make sure your dead birds are legal

msestak likes this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Trying to clean bones this way will result in exactly what happened. Skin your carcasses and remove as much flesh as possible as well as the internal organs. Then research maceration and clean them that way. You will need a source of heat and a submersible aquarium heater will be fine for what you want to do. Otherwise, invest in a colony of dermestid beetles and set them up in an enclosure indoors for bone cleaning.

joeym and msestak like this.
  4. Kayla04

Kayla04 New Member

yes I made sure they were, I checked the migratory bird treaty act and they aren't protected under it.

msestak likes this.
  5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

As Sea Wolf said, skin and flesh as good as you can. Place the remains in a black bag adding a tad of water. Tie up the bag and place it out in the sun for a week or so. In this heat maceration will occur pretty quickly. After a couple of weeks put the bag in a bucket of water. With gloves open the bag underwater and ease the remains out into the water. Shouldn’t be much left but the bones and a slimy mess of macerated, liquified flesh that will stink to high heaven - which is the reason for unwrapping the bag under water. Doesn’t work as well in colder weather, but in summer time it will rot away quickly in the heat. Be prepared for the odor!

msestak likes this.