1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Green Heron

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by crablover, Aug 22, 2020.

1. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Another odd ball to share. This Green Heron was in great condition unlike most of the permit birds I receive. Each bird has special areas in the process that need to be overcome. The biggest is the connection point areas of the neck, wings and legs. The body of this Heron was as thin as 2 pieces of bread, and had defined bony edges that had to be strong and correct so that the feather tracks would be correct.
    The body was carved in 8 lb foam and wire shaped to duplicate the bony edges. The final step was to saturate the entire foam body with super glue. It was injected into the body and when dry, the body was very light yet super strong, and the wired parts could be locked down and made strong connections to the body. Leg tendons must be removed in order to allow for a heavier wire. Skin was washed after wheeling and dried with potato starch and hair dryer. Color finishing was done with pan pastels. P1050799 (2).jpg P1050800 (2).jpg Green Heron.jpg

light, magicmick, Wildthings and 4 others like this.
  2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that story! Very nice

3. Nice Crablover!!! Cool as SH____

4. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

That ''GREEN" makes a great American Bittern.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. The A Bittern wings have the fuzzy look to them and the G Heron's wings have spots. Either way it's a great mount

6. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Geez, I am as dumb as a box of rocks. You are so correct Wa as I posted the wrong picture. It is in fact a Least Bittern, but the body pictures are for the Green Heron. I need to pay more attention, and stop staring at my wife. Thanks guys for the heads up

Wildthings likes this.