1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Life Size Antelope Hunting Decoy

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by dmac1175, Aug 23, 2020.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Just looking for ideas on how to make a decoy for hunting. I have already a life-size skin I could use.
    I realize I could order a form and mount it but seems expensive and heavy. I believe the real hair would be more convincing than a plastic decoy.
    I was thinking about using a shoulder form for the head/neck and attaching that to some kind of lightweight body made of wire or something and wrapping the tanned skin over that.
    I don't know just looking for ideas.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Take a pcs of plywood or something sturdy but light weight, trace a L/S lope , cut it out and then glue hide to it on both sides , kinda like the new wildlife art flats you can get from McKenzie supplies . So instead of 3D it will be 2 D

3. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Thank you for the idea.

4. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Just buy a Montana decoy. After you lug that thing around on a hot day you’ll want to leave it. $79. And it folds into a 12 inch circle when not using.
    Sometimes trying to save money costs more than you think. Get some plywood and walk out around with it on a windy day.

drob, Rausch and msestak like this.
  5. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

I make mine. Thin plywood cover with 2 part expanding foam. carve in the anatomy and paint it. Sharpened rods in the legs and a brace-able broom handle in the back. Howling wind doesn't affect it if I wire-peg the broom handle to the ground. IMG_4198.jpg Not too heavy and it sucks them in from 400 yards away. My Son took an 80 inch with his bow last week!

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Ken, is there anything in your professional life that you suck at? I would never have though about the spray foam.

Robert Baker likes this.
  7. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Awesome. That is a pig of a pronghorn.

8. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

When ken does one it becomes a piece of artwork.
    Ken can you tell us about how the hunt went down using the decoy?