1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by dmac1175, Aug 26, 2020.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I killed my first black bear 7 years ago, a small chocolate sow. Now I'm wishing it was just a rug and not a life-size mount. It was wet tanned but I'm not sure the exact wet tan method that was used. Can it be rehydrated and removed from form without ruining the hide then made into a rug with felt borders?

Yotekingtaxidermist84 likes this.
  2. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Well-Known Member

From what I understand...

You can rehydrate the hide. Locate and cut the original stitches and remove it from the form. Clean it up. It needs to be dry tanned and I'm guessing you can ship it out to one of the tanneries and have them fully rehydrate and then run it through breaking etc.

Its going to be a big undertaking and will have a lot to do with the condition of the hide after 7 years as well.. Maybe some of the more seasoned guys on here can give you some better guidance on what to look for on judging the condition after 7 years and an easier method.

Robert

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A wet tan is has gone through the same processes as a dry tan except for the drying steps, so, no need to re-tan it. The hide paste may cause issues when cleaning it off the hide. I have found that after that long it will probably have a "memory" to the shape of the form and not want to lay flat. If it where me, I would either just leave it be or cut it to make a head/shoulder mount. A rug is going to give you a lot of ifs and possible heart ache.

Robert Baker likes this.
  4. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Thank you.

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you could hydrate and tack it out and just let it harden...for wall hanging rug...floor rugs dont last

6. Where is sow body?
    What you did with her.

7. 7years ago did you eat the bear meat or toss the body

8. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I guess i dont understand your question in relation the my original post.

9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I can be done , that said it will also depend on how your Bear was skinned on how the rug will come out . If Im skinning for L/S I case cut the back legs , if it’s a rug I cut to the inside of legs so it’s a bigger shape if your understanding what I’m saying , but yes it still can be turned into a rug .