1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can It Be Done?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dmac1175, Aug 27, 2020.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I killed a small pronghorn last year and did a shoulder mount.
    I have since killed a bigger one and was thinking about putting the bigger horns on existing mount but don't want to destroy smaller horns.
    I know on deer you can rehydrate the stitched area of skin and bust out stitches and remove skull cap then replace with different rack.
    I would like to save the smaller horns and put them on an artificial skull for a euro mount.
    Hope this makes sense.
    Any sugestions?

2. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

Do as you mentioned on deer. Rehydrate with a wet towel and plastic bag, snip the stitches and pull the hide back and remove the skull cape. Slide the new set in place and resew
    good luck and have fun.

Robert Baker likes this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

It definitely can be done, but can be a little challenging. If the hide doesn’t match up right with the new horns, you can use apoxy sculpt to blend it in. Good luck.

4. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Thanks for the replies

5. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

What happens next year when you shoot a bigger one? Going to do it again?

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I wouldn’t try that on a pronghorn. The skull cap contains half the eye sockets. There’s a chance you will totally destroy the mount. I might attempt to remove the Small horn sheaths and slide the larger ones over the cores. If they were bondoed on, a little heat will help loosen them.

countrycritter and Westcoast like this.
  7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Not like this , there scull is part of the eye socket . You need to just pop the horn off on both side and bondo the new ones on .

Sorry Joe didn’t look past the quote I was replying to . What Joe said

Westcoast likes this.
  8. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Yes I used Bondo to hold horns on. Would someone please explain how to remove the sheaths. Thanks in advance.

9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Try putting head upside down in water ( just the horns ) for a few hours at a time then start twisting and tapping on them they should eventually pop off . If you nailed or stapled at bottom make sure u pull them first .

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

or drill a small hole on backside above cores and inject soapy water

11. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Be really careful with the heat. Pronghorn horns can blister.