1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Claw - Care Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by MacCal, Aug 28, 2020.

1. MacCal

MacCal New Member

Hi there.
    I have a bear claw necklace which I bought about 14 years ago. The material that was packed under the claw (in the hollowed part, inside) has since softened and started falling out. Wondering what I should repack it with and how? Also, general tips for up-keep are greatly appreciated. I love this thing and don't want anything to happen to it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  2. rwl

rwl Member

I'm not sure you can possess those claws in the USA due to the MMPA. Legally purchased or not. I'd check that out before I'd advertise to much that you possess them. rwl

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Chances are it could be insect damage. Take a little strong rubbing alcohol and drip it inside for few moments. Shake it out and let it dry. The claw itself will be fine. As you bought it recently, I hope you kept the receipt and have some legal documents that show you bought this from a native. Otherwise, what you have is quite illegal. The native aspect is suspect as they do not work with silver. Native made claw pendants are normally capped with ivory, baleen or a combination of both.