1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preserving Rabbit Ears! Complete Newbie

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by EmersonTheVulture, Aug 29, 2020.

1. EmersonTheVulture

EmersonTheVulture New Member

Hello, all! I am absolutely new to this site, so please forgive me for any format or formality errors I may make, and please call me out if needed.

Edited to mention: IT IS AN EASTERN COTTONTAIL!

I recently found a juvenile rabbit on the side of the road, unmistakably hit by a vehicle. The head wasn't damaged, and I intend to clean the skull (I put it in a container with flies so the larvae will eat up the tissue - I have one juvenile rabbit skull from a few months prior).

I decided to remove the ears and try to dry preserve them. The thing I've come across the most is "turning" the ears, but I can't find explicit instructions on how to do so. They are still full of all their flesh, I literally cut around the base of the ear with an Exact-O knife (closest I have to a scalpel) and have the both of them in a sealed container outside (my mother won't let me bring anything death-related inside :p) which is collecting condensation, which I don't know if that's bad.

How do I go about this, from the start (well, starting with the ears already being cut off). Is there a way to just flip them inside out and then just cut off all the meat and then peel off the cartilage? (for removing the cartilage itself, I found a neat tutorial on this site - which is why I joined) Should I hollow them out/remove the fleshy bits while they're still the right-side out? Please help![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Do not “turn” them. Begin with a blunt object, such as a tongue depressor. Slide it between the inner and outer ear tissue, slightly twisting as you push. Be very careful. It’s easy to push through or tear the ear. Work close to the edges until you get close to the tip. Remove, sprinkle DP into the ear, and card the ear for about a week. Hope this helps.

3. EmersonTheVulture

Thank you for your reply!! And thank you for telling me not to turn them! Might I ask what DP is? And after carding, should I fill them with some other material (like cotton or basically keep them carded) or is that more of a personal preference?

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

DP is dry preservative. If I were mounting the rabbit, I would mix a little bondo diluted with fiberglass resin. Pour it in the ear, and form as it cures. Card them for a week to keep the edges crisp.

5. EmersonTheVulture

Ah, okay. Thank you so much!!

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Do not turn the ear itself but you still have to remove all the flesh from the hide you have at the base of the ear. You can not leave those big chunks of flesh there or it will decompose and attract bugs.

joeym and EmersonTheVulture like this.
  7. EmersonTheVulture

Thank you!

8. Tracy Carroll

Tracy Carroll New Member

Great piece of information and i really need that..

EmersonTheVulture likes this.