1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degrease Salmon

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by drwalleye, Sep 1, 2020.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I'm getting in a few salmon now and I know they are greasy. The few I've done I soaked in dawn soap for a few hours. Is this good enough or do I need to do more? I do not use the real heads. I figured for just the skin dawn should be fine , but I'm looking for help from those who do this more often. Thank you

2. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

ANY ONE?

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Salmon have a lot of oil that needs to be purged even if you're not using the real head. Fins and fin butts along with the skin itself have a lot of oil. I always soak the salmon skin in denatured alcohol. Some water it down but I use it straight from the can.I let it stay in there for a couple of days to work it's magic.When you pull it out you'll think you ruined it because it will be shriveled and crusty(that's normal). Soak it in fresh water and keep checking it until it returns to it's soft skin. Wash it in a Dawn wash and rinse now it's ready to mount. The oil you removed will be at the bottom of the bucket (the yellow stuff) and the alcohol is reusable.Just drain it off leaving the oil in the bottom with a little bit of alcohol. Good luck.JL

drwalleye and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  4. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I use pro-1 and if its real greasy it will go into 50/50 water/acetone for a little bit.
    Never have needed more then the pro-1 for any salmon though. However they are not ocean run.

5. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I have not mounted any fish yet that need degreasing but I'll be saving this info for when I do. Thanks

6. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Denatured alcohol is this in the same area as laqure thinner? I also soak all my fish in a fish preservative and that draws out alot of blood etc. Would I do the denatured alcohol first and then the tanning? Thanks

7. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Denatured alcohol is not like lacquer thinner and yes do the alcohol before you tan. Good luck