1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flying Squirrel Advice

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Vulpes Vulpes, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

Please help me do justice to this little critter. She died in my neighbor's chimney. I plan to do a life-size mount in a flying pose.
    The skin is super thin. Will borax work well on such an critter?
    I plan to flesh really gently.
    Please provide any advice you have on mounting a flying squirrel. I've done several life-size small mammals before including grey squirrels

Attached Files:

2. jrandall71

jrandall71 Member

I usually tan them. It seems the more you handle it the more it'll start losing fur ( I'm guessing the heat from your hands and the thin skin). I would try to inject the hands/feet with something if you didn't get the toes out. If you don't use a good hide paste for dry preserve it will drum between the body and the edge of the flap. That's some of things I dealt with.

3. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

70% Isopropyl Alcohol just to work on them.
    I think they can slip while they are alive JK.. Marten mink weasels most small mammals
    most rodents gut right away spray right away!

Vulpes Vulpes likes this.
  4. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I had a guy brought me one for mounting but I sent it the my freeze dry guy for him to freeze dry it.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  5. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

I would like to see how this turned out for you if you have pictures. I did one a while back a cat killed and it was a pain.

6. Vulpes Vulpes

Will do. I tanned it and have it frozen in a ziplock. I hope to mount it in the next few weeks. The skin is so thin. Fleshing these little guys is really difficult without tearing through. I have some tears to patch.

7. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

The one I did had a lot of holes already from cat teeth and I tore a few myself. I ended up getting very frustrated with it but I think it turned out ok considering what I worked with. I ended up just throwing him in a batch of krowtan but seemed to do ok.

Attached Files:

8. Vulpes Vulpes

My form was too big. I am shaving it down so it can fit the little hide. What do you all use to glue the pieces together? I was thinking superglue.

Attached Files:

9. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

I'm not the best at form alteration so I don't have a good answer for you. I'm interested in the advice you get as well.

10. Bondo is what they use now but back in the day we used hot melt glue cut your form in notches add a wire and glue

Vulpes Vulpes likes this.
  11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Gorilla Glue. The original. It is like expandable foam and works well.

12. Vulpes Vulpes

Squirrel is coming together. Those skin flaps need to be separated like you would split an ear. The form seemed to big only because I hadn’t completely separated the flaps. It’s super delicate.

Attached Files:

Johnnyclyde likes this.
  13. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Looks like it came together nice , from all the issues you were having

14. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

Yes that looks very good. Keep up the good work!