1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide Pins & Punches

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Dingo.303, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Dingo.303

Dingo.303 New Member

hey whats the go with hide pins, i got some to use an when it comes to the thicker deer the pins stick in to the hide and the plastic handles rip off LOL.
    obviously i need to upgrade my pins, like long pin to hold the hide on in first instance- ?

also with a thick hide say elks for you guys, anyone else punch the hole in the hide first with a sharp needle / handle then pass the needle an thread through? i had to do this on my last one- i am basic no thinning machine etc.

my large needle bent so much i used it as a pre hole puncher an used a smaller S needle to thread.....

im goign to continue pre punching i think as it was a beter outcome for myself, just need to find some tools or make some to suit..

any helps, what do u do?

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I use a small diameter 4 inch needle and spiderwire to sew capes. They slide easily through thick skins. Mine come from Dixieland Taxidermy Supply. 800-465-4577. They are extremely sharp, and will go through a finger in a heartbeat.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Thin your skins down more and there’s no need for punches etc.
    Lol been there done this stretching a cape on a floor nailing it as I went then pulled them all out and tried fitting it on a form, with a those special gloves to aid in pushing the needle through the cape.
    Now I use just a 2” curved( cause I like them) with 6 lb test fire line to see it up. Cause I learned how to thin a cape and once you do that , life becomes easier. Ps this goes for elk, moose bear etc.

13 point and joeym like this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use quality hide paste, so maybe I will use 3 to 5 pins to hold for a day or two then remove. My hide are shaved thin and fully hydrated. I use a 1 1/4" 3 sided needle and spiderwire. Sews super easy. I use this on elk, down to squirrels and turkeys down to quail.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. Dingo.303

Dingo.303 New Member

my hide glue appears to be top class stuff , happy with that.

i use 4-8 x 5 or 6 inch long hide pins to hold the hide in place until its over the form an stitchin can begin.

ive heard abotu the hide thinning, ive got to look into a tool for this!

most people here send capes away to be tanned, in the return they get thinned out...

im doin mine all home diy, no thin machine ....

anyone got a good beginners hide thinner?

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Use a Skife knife along the suture area and around the eyes and facial area. Works well on tanned skins...not so much on green ones.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Besides a skife knife I like a dremal with a round sander for thinning face detail

GWebb likes this.