1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Reattaching Wildebeest Horns

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by NerfGun, Sep 3, 2020.

1. NerfGun

NerfGun New Member

First off, thanks for having me! I’m brand new to the forum and recently got into taxidermy.

During a move, both horns on my wildebeest mound disconnected from the skull. While I reattached them with Gorilla Glue, they’re still very loose.

Any ideas for a more secure solution? If I were to bring it into a shop, how much should I expect to pay?

2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

No idea what someone will charge you, but it's an easy fix if they are completely off. There might need to be some epoxy work around the base of the horn where the horn meets the hair.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Is this a skull mount or a shoulder mount?

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

A one hour charge plus materials , so bout $100 is what I would charge. Bondo hair and shoot some small brads in bottom and apoxeysculpt to blend if needed.

George and Keith like this.
  5. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

To those that have replied, how many of you have seen the bone structure under the horn sheath?

George likes this.
  6. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

It's rare for wildebeest horns to completely off the core. But their bone structure has small pores and grooved. If that makes sense. It's not completely smooth.

7. crablover

Keith, your reply is accurate as to the bone structure under the horn sheath. Very rarely if at all can you remove the sheath from the bone core. The boss area of the horn bone is like swiss cheese and is far from being solid. The bone is very brittle and does not have much surface area for gluing. They are typically over boiled to aid in the removable soft tissue under the sheath.
    In order to repair, the void bone areas need to be filled with one of many types of epoxies available. Without a picture, it makes it hard to give an accurate plan for repair.

8. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

If you can, bring it back to the taxidermist. Most will fix their work for free, if the problem is not is not the customers fault.

9. crablover

You are correct Keith if it was mounted in the USA. Without a picture of the damage I don't see how anyone could give a time quote, price or plan to repair the damage. The boiling to the skull has no doubt effected the bone strength, leaving it very chalk like and brittle, so I doubt brads would be any help

10. 13 point

They are asking ifs , they also stated they were off . I agree and know how there horns/bosses are , bondo hair glass will strengthen fix and hold them back in place . Know one said brads would be the only thing that fixed it but I will guarantee they will help . As far as price they ask what they could expect to pay , nothing locked in stone nothing different then going to a auto shop things happen to change prices you can’t control .

I’m not so sure why you seem to be going out of your way to prove things on this post wrong . Everyone has had different experience on things , I for one am NOT going to answer anything I’m not sure of or haven’t had any experience on or with .

11. crablover

Glen, I have no clue as to why you say I am trying to prove things wrong. I would think when inaccurate information is posted, it benefits every member if that information can be corrected, and not be taken as personal. Your post said it would take an hour and cost 100.00. I was just curious as to your calculation without seeing the broken horn. Keith seamed to understand that the bone structure is different, and will cause some issues with repair.

12. 13 point

I’m not taking anything personal, and apparently you didn’t read the post correctly, nothing is broke , they popped off , in my experience I can put them back on in an hour , he ask what he should expect to pay and I gave him an about amount , of course nothing is lock in just as I already posted . I don’t see any post that is inaccurate as you state , if he would have said loose or broken then that’s a completely different scenario.

13. crablover

No problem Glen, I know you have mounted and repaired quite a few over the years. That's whats great about this site, you learn something new every day LOL

14. 13 point

Yes sir Bruce we all do , never to old to learn.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I always hung them upside down before mounting. I used 4d nails to stabilize the cases. I used #30 Liquid which takes 6 hours to cure, and pored it between the cores and cases. Afterwards they were stronger than in nature.

ice and 13 point like this.