1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Overcome Wire On L/s Mannikins?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Robert Baker, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone,

So I have just learned how the wire anchor pieces that come with l/s mannikins really stink. I have some with threaded rod which are great. Wondering how you guys overcome the flimsyness? Working on a l/s fox in which I only have 3 wires to mount it to the base and have broken all three legs at least once so far lol. With hide on its so top heavy it wants to just pull it over. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Robert

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If your breaking legs on fox etc then your man handing way to hard. Your fighting your skin to which means wrong size, poorly tanned or some times the form is sculpted to big.
    It starts with test fitting and then remove unwanted foam.
    I have no issues with wires as you get underneath the base , pull down tight and bend the wire . If it’s good thick wood as I bend I’ll take a screw and the from underneath screw that up and that’ll help pull the wires down. It’s flopping cause the body is not tight against the base

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I always set my mannikin up on its proposed base prior to mounting. I alter every leg for a solid, sound, natural appearing pose. I snip the wires off about 1/4" short of where they come out of the base. After mounting, it's a simple matter of setting the mount in place, and locking the wires tight my wedging with screw between the leg wire and the wood base from underneath.

4. Robert Baker

Thank you for your replies gentlemen. The mannikin size is correct -- no doubt about that. Man handling a bit might be my issue and that screw idea is worth its weight in gold -- most appreciated.

Robert

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I actually order forms without wires and never had problems... just run a wire 4-5 inches into form with a drill, them glue it in.... but mostly I cut up and alter forms ... and like Joey said , fit to base first

Robert Baker likes this.
  6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I to alter legs first or to fix I dremel a slot in leg and lay a heavier wire in slot and bondo or 5 min epoxy in place for strength. Then I cut wires about 4 inches long and then bend them back on itself to be a loop kinda thing 2 inches long I then drill a quarter inch hole in the base it’s going to be on at each leg point . I then mount and put 5 min epoxy in each hole and then set mounts in said holes, holding it in place till it kicks . Then it’s solid with no issues

Robert Baker likes this.
  7. Robert Baker

Solid advice. I will be doing this in the future. Thank you guys.

Robert