1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Long Is To Long To Rehydrate A Taxied Deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Andrew long, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Andrew long

Andrew long New Member

hello all I recently mounted my first fallow deer and its completely dried.
    However I used way to many pins and pushed them in to far and they have imprinted on the skin.
    I'm thinking maybe I could use a wet towel on the areas or inject water maybe to try plump it back out or am I out of luck?? Any advice appreciated .
    Also a few started ti rust is there anything to use to get rush out of light coloured hair ???

Attached Files:

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice for you in the present, however, in the future, sand/ruff up the form, use a quality hide paste and make sure your skin has some slack in it on the form and you won't need those pins.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If you immerse it, it will do a lot of hydrating overnight. I'm assuming this is just the body and not the head. There is no guarantee that the dimples won't re-appear when it dries again. They skin might drum over the dimples in the mannikin, and be smooth...just a thought.

Andrew long likes this.
  4. Dingo.303

Dingo.303 Member

aussie?

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Sprites the body or pin area and put bag over mount do this 3 or 4 times a day for 3 days now take a rubber mallet and hammer on each spot a few times and leave bag off so it dries again , that should take the dimples out . Next time take pins out after 3 days so holes close up , and as stated use good hide paste like pro 1 and you won’t have those issues or even need to pin .

Westcoast and Robert Baker like this.
  6. Andrew long

Andrew long New Member

Yep

7. Andrew long

Andrew long New Member

thanks guys ill have a go at it

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I’ll inject water first so that I get water to the flesh side to hydrate faster.
    Warm water mixed with Downey and a touch of salt. Then I would pin wet paper towel over the spots, bag it and it should be ready the next day. Injecting the water underneath will hasten the process.