1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Crappie Ready To Paint!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Sep 6, 2020.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Here's 2, 16" and a 17" slab white crappie that I'm getting ready to paint today!

SAM_0090.JPG

Attached Files:

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Lookin’ good...get after it!

3. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Well, I got them painted. I'm pretty happy with the way they mounted up, (half cast method), and I didn't lose hardly any scales on the show side. I added a few new colors and experimented with some finger rub iridescents. I still would like to find a better way to do my spots on my fins.
    I'm never satisfied and always want the next one to be better so let me have it.

SAM_0091.JPG

Wildthings, ARUsher and Jon S like this.
  4. Definitely not bad for the first go around!

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with the half cast method for anatomy. That's half the battle. I like your subtle paint job. I still struggle a little with painting of the fins. Just remember they are not spots. It's a web pattern with lighter areas inside.

6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Nice for your first
    Guess you busted your cherry on crappie
    Now start adding the metallics to make it really natural

7. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks! These were the first crappie that I experimented with finger rubs on some of the iridescents. I was pretty pleased with the way the tops of the backs turned out. Yea, I'm working on getting my fin markings more accurate and realistic looking.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I use Lifetones' Chrome Pearlescent on the White Crappies but you don't want to get carried away.

9. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I think they look awesome. I like the "no paint" look to them, very natural and lifelike looking. Great job!

Cecil likes this.
  10. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks Cecil, I'll have to give that a try as I mostly do white crappie in our area. I've been using Lifetone Silver Pearl. I also quit trying to paint my markings with an airbrush and I do them mostly with a charcoal stick and then soften them with a fan brush.

JL likes this.