1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pedestal Mount Help

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by naturalcreati40, Sep 6, 2020.

1. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Is there a tutorial or something out there that explains the best way to attach a repro on a pedestal mount? I see pedestal's all the time that appear to be attached in a small area, attached at one point. I've tried metal dowel rods but they have a tendency to turn or spin? Any help would be appreciated and...I hope all of you are doing well.

2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

I use small square stock. That way you can make it removable. You can usually find it at home depot.
    Tommy

John C likes this.

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

If you want to use a round rod you have to create a flat area on the rod so it won't turn. Heat the rod and hammer it flat, then bend it over into a "U". Drill a suitable hole in the manikin. To attach it just fill the hole half full of catalized "Bondo" and insert the rod. Let it set up and you're done.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

On reproduction I do it a different way but close to Rogers but a bit more explanatory
    Find where your going to attach the fish. Drill a 3/8 hole in your blank. Now make sure you cover with tape and and all exposed areas that foam can leak out.
    Mix up some 4 lb density foam, pour it into the 3/8 hole, cover with tape. ( now have a squirt bottle filled with acetone or lacquer thinner near by) if any foam is leaking out just use the above product by squirting it on the foam as it’ll eat the expansion of it.
    Now once set, your fish should be pretty well foamed in, Ill now redrill the hole going in straight then angle it and wiggle the bit back and fort. Blow out the foam and have a piece of square stock vaselined, mix some bondo and resin pour in the hole almost fill. Then insert the square tube and hold it there till it sets up hard. Walk away till it’s cool. Using pliers pull out the tubing. Now you have a fish that you can place on a make shift stand with square stock in it, and mount and paint your fish there. The square stock is imbedded in my base so this way I can take my fish off and have it in a box with square stock in it for safe travels.

5. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Thank you all for your responses and it was very helpful, it makes sense now. I will definitely use this method

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  6. Being a total novice with a desire to take up carving and painting fish, I too was interested in building or buying a cradle. The reference picture below was enough to get me moving towards building what I needed or thought I might need.
    I went to the hardware store and bought $20 worth of 1' pvc and fittting and came home to make my attempt. In 40 minutes I was finished.
    One thing I did that wasn't included or mentioned in the cradle on the forum was to NOT glue to bottom piece that determines the width. That was I can insert pieces of various lenghts to make it wider or narrower depending on my needs. Out goes the old in goes the new. I haven't put the foam around the cradle in these pictures but I will before I start my painting attempt tomorrow.
    Incidentally I have two stands that friends of mine that are taxidermists let me use that are probably great for wall mounts, but I am going to try to paint a pedestal trout replica that I purchased from McKenzie.
    I'm old and not sure I can do this but perhaps with a little guidance from members I can get through this without making a jack-ass out of myself. DSC00881.JPG fish in cradle.JPG DSC00881.JPG fish in cradle.JPG fish in cradle.JPG fish in cradle.JPG

7. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Be very careful when filling a fish blank with foam. Mixing the proper amount of foam is an issue and can ruin a new blank. If the blank has thin walls around the seam line, the blank can split in half from post expansion of the foam.

Bill Dishman and JL like this.
  8. Thanks, I'm assuming the blank needs to be filled with foam in order to give it strength when it is attached to the base. For example a small diameter rod inserted into the blank and then into the base. Is there away around filling the fish with foam? I'm worried about filling the blank with too much foam and turning it into a fat little piglet with blown apart seams.I don't want it to look like my ex-wife!
    Which brings up another question that every one except a complete novice like myself would know and that is; does the same thing apply to a wall mount?
    Oh so much to learn and so little time when a guy gets my age. Thanks for any advice and guidance.

9. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    When doing a pedestal mount
    It depends on how intricate you want to make it
    I have used titanium rods (.125)
    In the pelvic fins
    I also have used 4340 heat treated rods for a support thru the mouth thru a worm then to the base
    Do your research on the material your using for support

10. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Look at your pec fin
    Look at some reference for proper placement

JL likes this.
  11. Thank you for your guidance. Lots to learn.