1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pedestal Mount Help

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by naturalcreati40, Sep 6, 2020.

1. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Is there a tutorial or something out there that explains the best way to attach a repro on a pedestal mount? I see pedestal's all the time that appear to be attached in a small area, attached at one point. I've tried metal dowel rods but they have a tendency to turn or spin? Any help would be appreciated and...I hope all of you are doing well.

2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

I use small square stock. That way you can make it removable. You can usually find it at home depot.
    Tommy

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

If you want to use a round rod you have to create a flat area on the rod so it won't turn. Heat the rod and hammer it flat, then bend it over into a "U". Drill a suitable hole in the manikin. To attach it just fill the hole half full of catalized "Bondo" and insert the rod. Let it set up and you're done.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

On reproduction I do it a different way but close to Rogers but a bit more explanatory
    Find where your going to attach the fish. Drill a 3/8 hole in your blank. Now make sure you cover with tape and and all exposed areas that foam can leak out.
    Mix up some 4 lb density foam, pour it into the 3/8 hole, cover with tape. ( now have a squirt bottle filled with acetone or lacquer thinner near by) if any foam is leaking out just use the above product by squirting it on the foam as it’ll eat the expansion of it.
    Now once set, your fish should be pretty well foamed in, Ill now redrill the hole going in straight then angle it and wiggle the bit back and fort. Blow out the foam and have a piece of square stock vaselined, mix some bondo and resin pour in the hole almost fill. Then insert the square tube and hold it there till it sets up hard. Walk away till it’s cool. Using pliers pull out the tubing. Now you have a fish that you can place on a make shift stand with square stock in it, and mount and paint your fish there. The square stock is imbedded in my base so this way I can take my fish off and have it in a box with square stock in it for safe travels.

socalmountainman and Lance.G like this.
  5. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Thank you all for your responses and it was very helpful, it makes sense now. I will definitely use this method