1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

12 month old sees it all

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by oldterryr, Aug 20, 2007.

1. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

this may not be the place to post this but here goes

i have a 1 year old grandaughter that we have nicknamed 'thump' becasue of the noise her head makes when she runs into so many things at her age - she is just learning to walk and she will hardly crawl anymore - we have one room in our house (extra bedroom) that is filled with mounts - some are mine but the bulk are waiting to be shipped and i dont have places for all of them in my large shop (i.e. garage) - she came over the other day and my wife handed her to me and said watch her - being a true grandpa i took her into the tv room and set her down - she no sooner hit the ground then she was off down the hall - i followed behind to see where she was headed - you guessed it - the 'head' room - she entered the extra bedroom about 3 feet and was immediately transfixed but what she had seen in the past (with my wife) - she stood there and you could watch her head turn as she studied all of the differet animals - i told my daughter about this and she thought i was kidding - tonite i carried my granddaughter into that room (with my daughter in tow) and set her down in the middle of the room - on cue my gd did the head turn again - she is absolutely fascinated by these animals

anyone else had a similiar experienc

2. That's cute! Maybe you have a new li'l follower? :) The only semi-similar experience I have had is with my little sister. She is 12, and is absolutely fascinated with the skulls I have cleaned and am currently cleaning. She started showing interest when she was 10, but now she even wants to help out. Instead of Barbies and trying to test mine and my grandmother's (yeah. we take turns taking care of her, long story) patience with things like "I need make-up," she's wanting to play around in the icky skulls. ;D

3. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

My 3 year old niece insists on going into the "trophy" room every time she is at the house. She wants to see Uncle Dan's deer and buffalo. Each one gets thouroughly inspected. She isn't too sure about the hogs though. They look "scary".

4. I have a granddaughter who is almost two. Since she was a baby I have been taking her into the shop.. Showing her the gallery that we have... Then the older she got always tells me deer...... She is hearing impaired like me and she signs... Been signing since she was six months old. She'll make the sign deer and looks towards my shop. She is only 16 months old now and knows the differences from each animal that I have in the shop. She knows the sign for them all.. My daughter says that everytime they drive by my house she says nana deer... haha..... Shes so fascinated by the shop and stuff thats in it. Always asking me what that.... My husband and I hope that she will be the next taxidermist in the family...... I have two dogs too that demands to go in to the shop too... If I walk right past my shop they will sit at the doorstep till I go in... Or they wont come in either... They expect to go into the shop every day... 1 full blooded lab and another dog is a little daschund/chiuaua... Its nice to work in the shop and have dogs and my grandbaby in there... These three are my heart and soul......

5. my 3 year old is addicted to animals now, he comes to the shop regularly with me while i work and has to usually pet all the animals once or twice, and then it's on to frog catchin or fishin.....i love it!!! ;D

6. wildwood

wildwood New Member

My three year old little girl LOVES to help me mount things. I always give her a brush, or a clean paint brush to "help" groom them. She helped mount my mama's deer, and I took a picture to show she had helped. She is so much into it, she watches me skin animals, and she isn't even grossed out, or scared of it. I LOVE my little girl "helping" me.Time with her is wonderful, and gives time for my wife to unwind. I hope this time together will keep us close, as she gets older. I heard it said once..time spent together now, will turn into time together later. I sure hope thats true.

7. oldterryr

here's thump

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

That's great guys! My daughter is 4 now, and comes out to the shop every morning when she gets up. She wants one of everything in her room! I hope your wildwood, I spend as much time with her as I can. Hopefully, when she gets older, she will be more interested in the outdoors than boys. Yeah, I know I am dreaming there!

9. mrdux

mrdux Member

My granddaughter has been calling the mounts in my showroom by species since she was less than a year old. She's nearly 3 now and is teaching her 11 month old brother what everything is. She will even correct someone if they call the lynx a bobcat or such. Neither of my kids kept hunting or fishing as they became adults but maybe I'll have the chance to do it over with the grandkids.

10. My daughter will be 2 in 6 days and every time i get a box of skins from the tannery she has to pull each one out and name it. as for the mounts on the walls, they have been shot by her numerous times with her finger. She walks around the house saying "Deer Bang" "bear Bang" "turkey bang", it is fun to watch.

11. oldterryr

my grandaughter, thump, now goes into the room (by herself) and talks to the animals - we are now calling her the 'wolf whisperer'

12. Hey Terry, as long as her head does not do a COMPLETE 360, you should be safe LOl LOl Shes cute as a button

13. Ihntdeer

Ihntdeer Member

My three year old daughter insists on saying good night to the mounts in my den. She will go aroung the room and say good night to them all and wants to touch each and everyone. I have an aligator pedestal that I had done for a competition that she loves. so to make sure it didnt get messed up, I made another one just for her.